DD 5.1 Problem - Hughes E86 and DirecTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ralph Summa, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I rented Swordfish on DirecTV PPV last weekend and purposely picked the DD 5.1 channel. The audio was out of sync throughout the movie. When I switched to Swordfish on the analog PPV channel the audio was right on. I also checked my DD OTA channels and they were also fine. This was the first time I experienced DD 5.1 from DirecTV and it was annoying as hell.

I tried shutting both the STB and receiver down then turning them back on, but it didn't help.

I have my STB audio hooked via digital optical cable to my Yamaha receiver, and my STB video goes directly to my Mits RPTV (not through the Yamaha)via component cable.

Anyone else ever have this problem with DirecTV? Anyone able to fix it?

Ralph

2. Ralph Summa

Bump!
    Three replies to "Best Jogging Headphones", but none for me?
    Help! [​IMG]

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Ralph, I've encountered this out of sync problem also with DirecTV on occasion, on various channels but not necessarily with DD broadcasts. (I never order movies on PPV so I can't comment specifically on that).

I'm using the Sony SAT-A55 satellite receiver with optical out. Movies on HBO and Starz are occasionally broadcast in DD although more often than not they're in DD 2.0 only....when they are broadcast in 5.1 however, they sound fantastic.

Vin

5. Ralph Summa

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I never had a loss of audio sync with my non-digital receiver. I wanted to grab another PPV movie for comparison but there weren't any other 5.1 broadcasts. Maybe this weekend. I used to read threads about people doing a "soft reboot" on their Sony HD-100 (I think) to clean up OTA audio problems. If this is a DirecTV problem that probably won't help.

Swordfish was definitely in 5.1. I saw all six lights shining on my receiver for the first time. The sound itself was incredible. Explosions, helicopters and gunfights galore! It just would have been nice if was in sync. I'll have to pass a note on to DirecTV.

Thanks again,

Ralph