What's new

DD 5.1 from dvd-a disc wont play in regular dvd player (1 Viewer)

I only have two dvd-a discs right now (others on order) and I had to send my Panasonic Rp-91 dvd-a player back to Panasonic for a replacement.

I tried playing the DD 5.1 tracks in my Toshiba 5109. One disc, Chanticleer, played perfectly but Fleetwood Mac's Rumours will not play the DD 5.1 track at all. The "Loading" just keeps flashing.

Has anyone had incompatibility with a dvd-a disc and a regular dvd player? With Rumours and a Toshiba dvd player in particular?

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I have the Toshiba 5700 and there is a setting for whether it defaults to DVD-Video or DVD-Audio. To change, I have to reset, then re-boot to switch modes. Until I figured this out, I also couldn't access DTS, as the player came defaulted to DVD-A.

Thanks Rick, but my Toshiba 5109 is just a regular progressive scan dvd player with no dvd-a. It still should be able to play the DD 5.1 tracks as it did with my other dvd-a disc.

But it doesn't and that is the problem I am trying to solve.

tony randall

Stunt Coordinator
I have the F.M Rumours DVD-A and have some trouble with it on the Toshiba 4700, which is the same as the 5700, except the 5700 has HDCD, which shouldn't impact my question. I was going to create a new post, but thought I would try here first.

My understanding is that Advanced Resolution Surround is to be played back through the player's 6 channel output. When I do this, I basically get the same information coming out of each speaker. I thought I would have different effects out of the speakers. Do I have a defectice unit, or is this the DVD-A experience?

I returned the cheap SACD player I had purchased because I did not find a whole lot of titles available that I was interested in. However, I definetly enjoyed hearing the multichannel SACD. From reading this forum and others, as well as talking with friends, DVD-A and SACD are two formats trying to do the same thing. If true, based on my one test of DVD-A, this is nowhere near true.

Please let me know what settings I should check to hear the Rumours in 6 channel sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks