What's new

DD 2.0 Recordings on DVD-R? (1 Viewer)

Brandon WB

Grip
My question to everyone is related to the recording and playback of DVD_R media on my hometheater system. I am using the Panasonic DMR-E95HS and recording onto DVD-R's from a Directv staellite feed. When I record a movie from Directv that is broadcast in DD 5.1 it then downgrades to DD 2.0 on the disc, right? When I play the recording on a seperate DVD player, my Yamaha reciever (rx-v1300)indicates Dolby Digital & DolbyPrologicII in use. From my understanding, the front channels would be in DD and Prologic II adds surround sound to the sub & rear channels? The problem is, I get almost no sound out of the rear channels and very limited sound out of the front mains. Most of the sound comes from the center channel. Is this normal? When listening to plain old satellite channels, prologicII alone gives me better surround sound than any of the DD 2.0 recordings.

Any one else have experience with this situation?

Thank you,
Brandon

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I am a little confused... Your saying if you listen / view a show that is definetly in DD 5.1 you get real great awesome surround, but if you record it, you get little if any surround using DPLII to play it back?

If so, I am clueless.

Brandon WB

Grip
John,

Yes, that is correct. When I watch almost any movie on satellite in DD5.1 or just standard audio, the yamaha always has performed well as far as surround sound goes. I just recently began experimenting with the DVD recorder and playing the recordings back on a seperate DVD player thru the home theater. This is when I noticed the DVD-R recordings sounded worse than just watching a movie on Cinemax or a TBS movie for example. I was under the impression that DPLII added "surround sound" to all 5 channels (speakers) no matter what 2-channel source it is fed, such as the the DD 2.0 recording I had made of several movies, one being the Butterfly Effect.

Does this info help at all?

Thanks Brandon

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well yes, sort of.. blah blah blah...

I would think you woul dget the equivelent of DolbyPrologic, but it seems your not.

If you hook you 1 channel analog cables up to a known Stereo / Surrond brodcast while you watching it, you also get good surround performance?

I think your DVR solution has sort of dropped the ball on it's recorded surround sound performance. I just know if you record from a a stereo TV to a VCR, even the standard def network shows have respectable surround performance, and DPLII / DPLIIx usually will do modern wonders with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks