What's new

DD 2.0 and DTS ES in Denon 3802.. (1 Viewer)

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
I want to watch Saving Private Ryan in DD 2.0 or matter of fact any DD 2.0/ES or DTS-ES and what setting do i need to make on the receiver?
If I put it in auto it show direct and only my R/L/Sub are playing.
How do I make the receiver make it to auto reconginze the input signal?
Thanks

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Try this...
In the DVD's audio setup menu, choose DD 2.0.
Play the movie
On your receiver turn the Select knob to Direct

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
I tried the DD 2.0/ 5.1 DD and still the receiver does not recognizes the DD at all. When I pop in the Galidation the DTS-ES is automatically lits up and hear the Surround sound.
When I play 5.1 DD only the receiver does not recongnizes.
I wounder why?

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Sorry, I don't think I quite understand what you want.
The produre that I outlined DOES in fact give me DD2.0 on my 3802. What does the display say on yours?
I tried the DD 2.0/ 5.1 DD and still the receiver does not recognizes the DD at all.
You're not getting DD 5.1 at all? But you are getting DTS-ES Discrete (on the display of the receiver) when you play Gladiator, right? Again, what does the receiver's display read when you play a movie in DD 5.1? Try inserting a DVD that only has a DD5.1 soundtrack, see what happens then.
You might have a "bum" DD decoder...it wouldn't be the first that I've heard on a 3802.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Shanthi: A few thoughts...
Make sure you are connected through a digital input. You can use either coax or optical.
You MUST go thru the setup menu completely. This will allow you to set your speaker sizes, assign digital inputs etc. Your receiver will not work correctly if you don't do this.
When trying to play DVDs, the correct mode would be the Pro Logic surround. When in this mode, the 3802 can switch between Pro Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS.
My best advice is to go through the manual step by step. It will help you to decide whether or not you have a receiver problem.
Good Luck!

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had the exact same problem with my Denon 1802 and my very cheap Apex 600A DVD player. I was using the digital output with coax cable and DTS worked fine but DD 5.1 did not ever light up or show on the display. Turns out my DVD player was setup wrong for Dolby Digital. I changed the DD output to SPDIF/RAW (on the DVD player) and now it works perfectly. Hope this helps.

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
When I pop in Saving Private Ryan which is 5.1 DD, the receiver does not recognizes the DD, I had to play it in DPL II. When I play Gladiator the DTS light is on.
I was wondering is there a setting to automatically recognize the DD, or am I doing some thing wrong.
Thanks

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Hmmm, the only setting on the receiver for Dolby Digital is AUTO.
What kind of DVD player do you have? Try what Jo_M said, check your DVD player's manual/setup and look for a setting for Dolby Digital. If it set to PCM or ANALOG, see if you can change it to BITSTREAM.

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
I have Sony DVP NS700P. I selected the 5.1 DD on the Disc and output from the DVD player as same. I use Digital Optical cable from Acoustic Research.
I wonder why it does not auto detect even though I select auto from the front panel on the receiver.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
My old Sony DVD player had a feature called Audio Priority. If you player has this feature, check it, it might have something to do with your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks