What's new

Dcm Sub-712 (1 Viewer)

Craig Gottlieb

Auditioning
I have a DCM SUB-712 and it's having a problem where it seems that the volume is stuck at a very high level. It's always very loud and boomy, and moving the knob doesn't change it at all.

This doesn't look like an easy fix, unless someone has an idea about how to fix it, I'm looking for a repair shop in Portland, Ore. Does anyone have any recommendations on reputable shops? Thanks!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
HI CRAIG-- I live in P.O. to, well out in Sherwood witch is right next to Tigard. Good to see a post from home. Question- With out looking, is that the new sub C City or B BUY is selling now. I found a few places in the yellow pages to do work on my receiver. I decided it was just a ground loop so never did follow through.

Craig Gottlieb

Auditioning
No it's actually pretty old. I got it from my brother who has had it for quite a few years. BTW, I actually live in Tigard, so we're close! :)
I guess I just need to open the yellow pages and pick a place. Service shops just make me nervous though; for some reason I always feel like they're going to screw me.
Thanks for the reply!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean Craig. I am getting ready to go down to Magnolia Hi-Fi and look at there Klips. I said I would never buy any thing from that bloated hi price place! Good luck! I live in Woodheven Sherwood, any chance you would like to do a DVD some time? O - I am going down to Magnolia Sat. to test out there Klips. It never ends?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i'm a little unclear as to what you mean. are you saying that as you raise the volume, it seems that the sub then is boomy and that lowering the volume doesn't seem to help?

Craig Gottlieb

Auditioning
Sorry if it was unclear. I mean that the volume doesn't seem to do anything at all. It's just always very boomy.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
It does sound like you have some sort of problem Craig. I have a lower quality sub sitting unused and the volume knob on the back does not react like the one on my Velodyne but it still works. If the DCM is a OK sub, it should react. No matter what the quality you should have response.

Marc H

Second Unit
Craig,
I don't know that sub but is there any chance you are plugging into a line output on the sub rather than a line input? That would explain what's happening.

Craig Gottlieb

Auditioning
I don't know that sub but is there any chance you are plugging into a line output on the sub rather than a line input? That would explain what's happening.
Thanks for the input (no pun intended). That wasn't the problem - however while I was double checking I did find out something new about the problem.
Seems that the problem goes away when you put pressure on the volume knob. For example, when the volume is on zero and you put a lot of pressure inward on the knob, the bass actually goes away as opposed to sounding like level 10 all the time!
So obviously a connection inside; I opened up the panel and took a look at it - it's solidered directly to the board, so I assume there is some kind of short or the solider is going bad or something; otherwise it looked normal. Don't know if I'd want to take my chances trying to re-solider it or anything.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread