DCM speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Oachalon, May 18, 2002.

1. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

i dont have much money to work with, and i kinda want speakers that get pretty loud but still sound decent. Im talking about the dcm12a. These are the cabinets with the 12inch woofers in them. I want to know what everyones opionion is on these speakers. I dont have much money to work with and sick of bookshelf speakers.

2. Oachalon

come on people help me out here. I know everyone knows there is a lot better speakers out but i can get 12s for 300 that sound pretty good. Im only 16 here. I want to go loud but still sound good. I dont have a lot of money to work with please help.

3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Well you could look at Axiom, Diva, or norh to see what they have in your pricerange. As far as tower speaker for about $300 I dont' know what you could find.

4. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

5. Oachalon

alright thanks ill have to check out those speakers. I have had an eye on the jbl so we will see.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I also would try to not let the size of the woofer cloud your listening. I used to have a pair of Polk 600i's with 6.25" mids that had much better extension than the speakers they replaced that had 12" woofers.

I know you say you are sick of bookshelf speakers but it may be worth it to buy quality bookshelves and save up for a good sub. Or keep your eye on the used market. You just may find a great deal.

Regards,

Dan Hine

7. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Oachalon:

DCM is my favorite inexpensive (full range) speaker brand. Nice full range sound (for the $) and they image quite nicely as well. For someone on a tight budget, they're great: loud, clear, decent bass (if you can't get a sub right away), and very efficient (you don't need mega watts to drive them).

Only catch I can think of is that I know of only ONE store that carries them: Circuit City.

Good luck with your decision.

Rich B.

8. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Definatly check out JBLs Northridge and Studio Series floorstanding speakers, I think they are several notches above the DCMs in sound quality.

9. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

I agree with James in that you should audition as many brands within your budget as possible. Your speaker brand selection will affect your system's "sound" more than any other component.

Let us know what you go with.

Rich B.

10. Oachalon

yes i have been looking around. I do know the speaker is one of the most important. IF anybody else has any other suggestions that would be useful. Actually i have 2 subwoofers. I want some floor speakers. If someone else has any other suggestions it would be very helpful. I like the dcms quite a bit for the money. The JBls though i think distort quite easily, and that is the part that is scaring me. Im looking for an upgrade from what my front speakers are now. Which is the yamaha 8s. The bookshelf. Not the greatest but i paid $20 for them.

11. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

DCM = "Party Speaker"

A guy I know has four of them and returned the DCM subwoofer b/c it didn't help. I've heard both a good bit. I prefer the smaller ?DCM10A. It sounded better to me. For 300 you can get some real good shit on Audiogon or some of the closeout stuff by Polk if so inclined. Those things are very efficient to boot. I think they are like 95db/wt efficiency.

12. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

The floorstanding JBLs do not distort easily , I have gotten a pair of S312s to over 110dbs very cleanly.
    It sounds to me that you are looking for just a loudspeaker and are not as concerned with the sound quality also you mentioned you were on a budget so
    I think the DCMs might be more suitable for you, CC has the DCM12As on sale for $369 a pair and the DCM10As on sale for $269.
    The DCM12As have a Sensitivity of 97db and use a compression horn loaded tweeter.
    These should get really loud with a fairly small amp.
    One odd thing about these is that the port fires downward and the binding posts are on the bottom as well. [​IMG]

13. Oachalon

james thanks for the help yeah i was thinking about the dcms about that. 110db is not bad but im sorry to me that is nothing. Its probably a lot for home audio but when u have a car that does 167db 110 is nothing. Its probably quite loud. I know in my room i will never come close to the sound of my car. The jbls i heard distorted quite easily. Actually i listened to a couple pairs. Could have been the amp clipping.

14. Oachalon

also does anyone else know where i can the dcm 12s other than circuit city. I have a circuit city 2 miles from me so thats not a problem, but if someone knows a place where i can find them cheaper it will be quite helpful. Since im on very low budget. Also i wouldnt mind what people should get the dcm or the jbl for my kind of listening. Thanks

15. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Get Klipsch. The most sensitive version you can find and power it w/a used 1000 watt amp.

16. Oachalon

lol i would love to. Dont have that kind of money. All the amps in my car are being used at this time. I could buy a converter but way to much money. Dont have the money i think im gonna go with the dcms.

17. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

if you don't think 110 dB is loud, then you probably have already suffered quite a bit of hearing loss. 110dB is VERY loud. and the 167 you quote, what frequency was that at? 50hz?

if you were actually sitting in the car when you recorded that sound level, well then you must have ears of steel.

18. Oachalon

no i wasnt in the car when that was happening and my ears are perfect. actually it was at 42hz. Its kinda loud but ive heard a lot louder and when ur into car audio 110db is basically my component set in my car. Im probably going to check out dcm.

19. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

the fact of the matter is, 110dB at anything above 1Khz or so is loud, and will damage your ears after prolonged listening. good luck.

20. Oachalon

everything will damage ur ears. Driving a tractor will to when ur cutting the yard. A tractor is around 100db. Bass will not kill ur ears as much as high frequencies. I dont play my music that loud in my car. I just want to be able to go loud. Everything in this world will kill you in some form or another.