dcm speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andrew*B, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Andrew*B

Andrew*B Auditioning

I have a set of dcm kx series speakers that a friend of mine was getting rid of, they sound pretty good for free speakers, they look kind of expensive just wondering if any body has heard of dcm. Also I have the hoked up tp a Yamaha rx-v557 receiver.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Certain DCMs, like these* to me are slightly cheaper versions of certain speakers from Cerwin-Vega (their present "E-Series"; the DCMs lack the CV's useful mid/tweeter level controls). Your KXs look similar.

EDIT: oops. Circuit actually sold speakers with *MTX's* name on them-they look almost exactly like the above DCM models but are solid black (an image search for "MTX monitor" reveals this)

"Intense" speakers like these are very polarizing, i.e. people either love them or hate them (I own Boston Acoustics myself). I guess you could say they are the Dave Chappelle of loudspeakers. [​IMG] I think they can definitely be good for HT use or for metal/punk music. But for more subtle tunes like acoustic jazz or classical (solo violin, flute, etc) IMO they lack the accuracy needed to reproduce such music with the delicasy(sp) it should have.

FYI: back in the 70s DCM made a reputation for themselves when they came out with their innovative "TimeWindow" model.

* if anyone ever tries these, and they don't have hit-you-in-the-chest bass, make sure they are wired IN phase. An employee at CC thought they sounded horrible (so did I) but when we turned the balance control all the way over to one speaker, the bass improved tremendously (this is one way to check for out of phase speakers). We then reversed the +/- leads on ONE speaker, fixed the balance, and then party time!! [​IMG]

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I have some DCM KX12 series speakers on one of my systems, they werent really expensive I think around 500 a pair or something, they are pretty good for music I have a sub and what not that goes with them. I also have some other dcm speakers setup in my game room.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I too have a pair of DCM KX12's and would describe them as dance club speakers. They are very loud and produce enough bass to shake the pictures off of your wall but they aren't as precise when it comes to highs and midranges as home theater speakers should be. I've been using the speakers for the past nine years in a stereo setup that's separate from my home theater. If I want it to sound good I use the HT, when I want to wake up the neighbors I use the DCM's [​IMG]

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I guess the reason I don't too excited about using really accurate speakers* with Dolby or DTS (i.e. if the speakers were used only for movie soundtrack playback) is because those are compressed/lossy formats, so right from the start the sonic accuracy of the original recording-whether it was music, voices, etc-has been compromised.

I will agree though the mids/highs aren't the best on speakers like these being discussed; when I used to sell HT we would compare the Cerwins (physically similar to their present "E Series") to other speakers like Advents (when they were still a respectable company) and JBLs, and the CVs always had a more "blurry" i.e. less distinct quality to them. Nothing nasty but I think this might be a result of designing them for high output, high power handling and for an affordable price. But I've heard Klipsch La Scalas and Klipschorns and they can make it to frightening volume levels but still sound crystal clear & detailed.....but then again, these models are in the quadruple digit price range.

* like these or these for example

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Found something interesting on Dynaudio's special site for their Evidence line of speakers, their best. Click on "Evidence of Beauty" & it's the first paragraph under the heading "Treatise On Tonal Balance" (the site won't let me copy/paste anything). Here's a Stereophile review of the $30,000/pair Evidence Temptation.

I don't mean to start an argument between the horn fans and the dynamic (non-horn) speaker fans, but basically this applies to what we're talking about here. And I have noticed for years that relatively speaking, most speakers that are more accurate than a similar-sized not-as-accurate speaker do require more power. Taming ALL those peaks, dips, phase problems, etc, etc, etc requires certain materials applied in specific areas together with lots of electrical tweaking (usually in the form of a complicated crossover) and all these things can take their toll on the incoming power.