DC restoration in Sony 34HS510: service menu

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AngeloNA, Apr 2, 2004.

1. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

I've read in this forum that one should set the YDC or Y-DC setting in the Sony service menu to "0" to improve the retention of black levels. Looking through the service manual, however, I can't seem to find this item. Does anyone know if there's a new name for this item, or is it still in there and I'm not seeing it?

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

There should be the YDC and/or DPIC (for dynamic picture). They have a similar end result.

3. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

Well I can't seem to find either in my 34HS510. I read elsewhere that these items have been taken out of the latest Sony's. Don't know if I believe that, but I can't find them to disprove it! Anyone know anything about this?

4. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

I just calibrated a brand new Sony 57WS550, and it's true that the service menu was significantly changed from previous Sonys. For example, all the color decoder controls were in a new submenu called "MCP." My literature was for the previus service menu, so I had to experiment and hunt a little in the new submenus to find what I needed. Turned out that everything was there, but in different areas, including the controls in question.
    In the WS510, the DPIC control is in the 2150P-3 submenu. I'm not sure if the HS510 has a different menu than the WS510, but there's an easy way to check. Just see if there's a submenu named 2150P-3. If there is, then you have the familiar service menu. If there isn't, than it might be the new menu. If you have the new menu, I should be calibrating another one in about a week, so I can let you know where it's at then.

5. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

Thanks for trying to help me out. The color decoder items in my model are in the 2170P_4 submenu. And unfortunately, there is no 2150P_3 submenu. If only the service manual had some descriptions for the items!