DC Comics DVD's?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dale_, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

From the transcript of the 3/29/05 online chat with Warner Home Video reps:

[WarnerHomeVideo] Our folks who handle this area aren't here tonight, but we know there's LOTS of great DC Comic-related product in your future!

Now, what could these be? The chat specifically mentioned the 1950s Superman (probable), the Flash (potential), live-action Batman (doesn't have rights) and Shazam (not being considered). Wonder Woman has been finished. What does this possibly leave?

1960s Superman, Batman, and Aquaman cartoons
    1977 Batman cartoons
    More Super Friends stuff

Am I missing anything?

2. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Season sets of Justice League and Batman Beyond?

3. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

Well, I asked about and they said that they're in preparation: SUPERMAN (1948) and ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (1950), the two live-action 15-chapter Superman serials with Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill. In the former, Superman battles the Spider Lady (Carol Foreman) and in the latter, Lex Luthor (Lyle Talbot).

Oddly enough, the two BATMAN serials produced by Columbia are still owned by Columbia, while Warners owns the two SUPERMAN serials produced by Columbia.

I 'spect they'll be released to coincide with the new live-action Superman film in 2006.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

There was a 1980's Superman cartoon that featured shorts with Superboy and Superman Family Album.

I don't know if Warners owns that series but it was a lot of fun and I hope it's released to DVD.

5. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

I completely forgot about Serials. There were a few other serials in the 40s featuring much lesser-known DC Comics characters: The Vigilante, Hop Harrigan, and Congo Bill. There was also a serial of Blackhawk, a character which DC did not own at the time but now does.

6. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

I am hoping for a release of all of the 1960s DC Comics superhero cartoons -- not just the Superman/Batman/Aquaman bits, but those random cartoons featuring Flash, Green Lantern, The Teen Titans, etc.

7. LizH

LizH Second Unit

***cough***

8. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Birds of Prey. I never saw it when it was on TV; I was sick that week. [​IMG]

9. LizH

LizH Second Unit

^ Uh-huh ... [​IMG]

Fresh! :p)

10. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

This was in reference to DC ANIMATED titles. Notice how they said "our folks who handle this area aren't here tonight..." which is referring to the animation people; the "regular" TV people were there.

Gord

11. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

So again, that just about leaves the 60s Superman/Batman/Aquaman stuff (yes, with the "guest hero" segments too, I hope), the 70s Batman toons, and the remaining Super Friends seasons. Possibly the Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam, too, I had forgotten about that (after much effort).

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

I'd be happy with those, especially the ones from the 60s. There is also the Batman segments from the Superman-Batman Hour in the mid-90s (called "Gotham Knights" elsewhere), and two more volumes of Superman: TAS, and the Justice League/Unlimited seasons.

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'd very much like to see a release of the 'lost in the shuffle' 60s Ted 'Baxter' Knight narrated Filmation material.
    Aquaman, Superman, Superboy, Batman, JLA, Teen Titans
    all great stuff!

14. LizH

LizH Second Unit

Isn't 70's Batman a Filmation property? [​IMG]

15. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

You'd think so. The 60s DC heroes stuff was Filmation too. But apparently they didn't retain the rights to any of the stuff they produced featuring licensed characters. They only own their own original stuff, like Ark II, Mission: Magic, and The Ghost Busters.

16. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Of course, technically, they don't own anything as Filmation as a company no longer exists. The bulk of the Filmation library is owned by a British firm called Entertainment Rights.

And yes, most (if not all) of the series based on licenced characters reverted back to the companies who owned the characters (which explains why Shazam! was the only live-action Filmation adventure show to have not aired in the 1990s British syndication package).