DC cable from receiver or power center

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Paul Padilla, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

I'm looking for a cable that will fit the DC trigger from either my receiver or my Monster power center to power a case fan used for ventilation in my cabinetry. I'm looking at the Nexus 80 mm Quiet Case Fan I found at endpcnoise.com or something similar.

Any suggestions? I'm fine with soldering if that's what it will take.

Thanks.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Sorry, but I don't understand something.

I went out and got a Radio Shack AC/DC 9V transformer. Snipped the plug off of it and wired it to the fans. Then I used a short extension cord that went from the receiver to the floor, where the transformer is plugged into.

Glenn

3. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Hey Glenn,

Ahhh...It took me a minute to figure that out. So you're using the switched AC out of your receiver to power the DC converter.

That would certainly work , but both my Denon receiver and my Monster HTS 5100 power center have 12v DC output...if I'm looking at this correctly. This is how the Denon manual describes it,

Turn the DC 12V voltage on and off for the individual functions.

The Monster says this,

Trigger Out Programming Switch: Set to the DELAY position, the 12 volt remote trigger will power
    an external device
    after a delay set by the DELAY TIME slide switch once the PowerCenter is switched on
    (fig. 2e). Set to the NO DELAY position, the 12 volt trigger powers an external device as soon as
    the PowerCenter is switched on.

I was hoping I could use one of these to power the fan and skip the transformer...preferably the Monster as it should have better isolation.

12v output...12v fan...shouldn't this work? The literature mentions a standard 1/8" mini plug.(not included) I thought I could grab one of these at RS or Frye's and solder it to the fan leads, but I thought there might be a cable somewhere for this purpose.

Thanks

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I'll through up some of my thoughts:

I think you might have an easier time with 120v AC fans and a general wall plug from your cabinet. There's some great 120mm metal fans at radio shack. I have used them and they are beautiful, decent cfm and near dead quiet.

along those lines, you should look into 120mm fans for use as cabinet coolers. The larger fans will be more quiet and the noise they do put out will be in a lower, less obnoxous, pitch.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Rob probably has a better idea. I am using some PC fans and they are quiet only because they are not going at 12 VDC, but only at 9 VDC.

As for the plug, the size/type shold be somewhere in the manuals, and yeah, it would be a quick solder job. The cost can't set you back that much.

If you want to hear sick and wrong, this is what I did. I got a sheet of panelboard cut to size and it lies horizontal, about 2" above my receiver. In the center of it I drilled out four holes for 4 PC fans. The 4 sets of wires go to an AC/DC converter. All of them pull the hot air up.

The space the hot air goes to is only 3" high, but on the back I mounted 4 x 4" fans side by side. They suck the air out the back. Those 4 sets of wires go to a 2nd AC/DC transformer. Both of them plug into an extension cord that is powered by my receiver.

If anyone doubts that this works - well, it gets to over 90F here (inside) during the summer, and with no A/C, my receiver hasn't shout down once.

Glenn