What's new

DB25 input on Rotel Amps (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I used it when I had Rotel stuff a few years back. It certainly helps with cable management and elimination of the number of cables could cetainly be a good thing for minimizing interference. There is different quality like anything else among what you may connect them with. I found improvement over the std. computer designed cables vs. something built with audio in mind.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I found improvement over the std. computer designed cables vs. something built with audio in mind.
I find that easy to believe! I had a couple of Onkyo DD-ready receivers, an 828 and a 919 and used this connection with great success. I agree with Phil that it really helps a lot with cable management. The connection was developed by the THX team and I wish it beacme a universal standard, since the cable management advantage is significant. Onkyo still uses thie connection for the 5.1 (7.1?) inputs on their receiver, I don't know about Rotel. I don't know if anyone else ever used it. Bettercables, Monster, and others make cables for this connection.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Rotel actually used to supply a db25 cable. I noticed on newer stuff it does not appear they do that any longer. It was a std. cable but at least sparked the interest to try other things. On my old Onkyo receiver in the bedroom which only had a db25 input and no digital inputs, I had to build a db25 to RCA cable which I found out later MSB builds at a fairly resonable price (much easier than soldering to those pins). I probably still have lots of that stuff laying around somewhere.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I am using a DB25 connection between my Rotel rsp-985 and a rmb1095 power amp.I have done extensive back and forth comparisons between using high end RCA connections and a high end custom built DB25 cable.I have to say that to my ears the DB25 connection has better sound steering between all five of my Tannoy speakers.It sounds more discrete.I also like the cable management advantages of the DB25 connection.I will say however that the RCA connection sounded more open with two channel music.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I had my DB25 cable custom made by a company called "Twisted Pair Designs".It was about $125.00 or so.Very well built.Make sure you tell them that its for Rotel gear or Onkyo or whoever and that like mine is male on one end and female on the other because Dolby's standard is male on both ends.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I talked for quite a while with the guys from Twisted Pair at the NY show at the end of May. I make my own stuff and was very impressed with the quality of what they had on hand (they were not selling, just had a booth). Their website is www.twisted-pair-design.com. I also in the past when I did not have time to make stuff bought from another small co. which is excellent, Empirical Design. I likely have some of the stuff laying around too. If you are interested in contacting Emprical Design, I can get an E-Mail contact for you, they are excellent and the owner is very customer responsive. They might have a couple of reviews at www.audioreview.com under 'ED Omniwire.' Companies such as those don't have a huge advertising budget and generally you can get something of very good quality at its price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks