db reading from speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Marc*F, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

I just got my copy of Digital Video Essentials and am setting up speaker levels with my spl meter, i noticed the dvd has band limited pink noise and full band pink noise. The band limited pinks noise had me leaving the rears down low and the sub low, the full band pink noise was almost the opposite, i noticed the full bank pink noise to be the same as the THX sound optimizer included on some dvds....i'm just not sure from which source i should set my speaker levels from......another question...is the source of the test pink noise different for DTS and DD? Does PAL or NTSC make a difference aswell?

Thanks

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

PAL and NTSC [NasTy SCreen] are both video formats that make no difference in pink noise or audio in any way.

the other ?'s, I cannot help cause I dont know

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I use the limited bandwidth tones to calibrate all my surround channels.

Do not use the DVE sub tone to calibrate your subwoofer. It is encoded anywhere from 5-10 dB hot (depending on what you read), and will result in a very weak sub calibration. Joe Kane Productions is working on it, but I don't know the latest status. There is a thread on the subject in another section of HTF.

4. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

Thanks I did noticed the sub was abit weak in the test tones....can anyone explain why they would use limited to unlimited pink noise in test tones?