db meters on amps..whats it all mean???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bob_andrew, Jul 22, 2002.

1. bob_andrew

bob_andrew Auditioning

Have a quick question. i've seen for years those meters that some amps have that show its relative db output.
    my question is how come the meters go from say -20db or so to +20db or so ? how can you have a negative db rating if theoretically 0 db is complete silence. i must be missing something here.So if any one could shed somelight on the subject and let me pick your brain on this i would be if nothing else alittle wiser anyway[​IMG]
    Thanks.
    Bob[​IMG]

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The meters are not displaying audio dB. Instead, they are displaying electrical dB and in comparison to a reference of some kind, thats the 0. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Chris is right... It's 0 dB = some reference level like 1 milliWatt (dBm), 1 Watt (dBW), 1 Volt (dBV) etc.
    Tom

4. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

The 0dB on most equipment is not even to a common reference. It is just a starting point for other levels to be based on.
    The reason most equipment goes negative is that most preamp sections are actually attenuators: feeding the input directly to the power amp stage would result in huge output.
    In acoustic terms, 0dB is not "complete silence" - it is the accepted threshold of human hearing, about 20 micro-Pascals of pressure variation.
    Where the dB figure is against a defined reference, the dB is usually followed by a symbol to indicate that reference. So 0dB SPL is 20 micro-Pascals, 0dBm is 1mW into 600ohms, 0dBu is 775mV rms (same as dBm, but "unterminated"), 0dBV is 1Vrms.
    6dB increase is a doubling of voltage; 3dB increase is a doubling of power. See the Decibels section at this page.
    So to answer your question, -20dB is 20dB below the reference value; if this is against dBu, for example, -20dB would be 77.5mV rms at some arbitrary point in the amplification chain.