What's new

db meters on amps..whats it all mean??? (1 Viewer)

bob_andrew

Auditioning
Have a quick question. i've seen for years those meters that some amps have that show its relative db output.
my question is how come the meters go from say -20db or so to +20db or so ? how can you have a negative db rating if theoretically 0 db is complete silence. i must be missing something here.So if any one could shed somelight on the subject and let me pick your brain on this i would be if nothing else alittle wiser anyway:)
Thanks.
Bob:D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The meters are not displaying audio dB. Instead, they are displaying electrical dB and in comparison to a reference of some kind, thats the 0. Correct me if I'm wrong.

TomCW

Second Unit
Chris is right... It's 0 dB = some reference level like 1 milliWatt (dBm), 1 Watt (dBW), 1 Volt (dBV) etc.
Tom

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
The 0dB on most equipment is not even to a common reference. It is just a starting point for other levels to be based on.
The reason most equipment goes negative is that most preamp sections are actually attenuators: feeding the input directly to the power amp stage would result in huge output.
In acoustic terms, 0dB is not "complete silence" - it is the accepted threshold of human hearing, about 20 micro-Pascals of pressure variation.
Where the dB figure is against a defined reference, the dB is usually followed by a symbol to indicate that reference. So 0dB SPL is 20 micro-Pascals, 0dBm is 1mW into 600ohms, 0dBu is 775mV rms (same as dBm, but "unterminated"), 0dBV is 1Vrms.
6dB increase is a doubling of voltage; 3dB increase is a doubling of power. See the Decibels section at Link Removed.
So to answer your question, -20dB is 20dB below the reference value; if this is against dBu, for example, -20dB would be 77.5mV rms at some arbitrary point in the amplification chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks