1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

DB Drive PL15D4

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Patterson, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Kevin Patterson

Kevin Patterson Stunt Coordinator

I am wondering about this sub for an IB install My only concern is the power handling it says 2000w but i beleive this is MAX. not RMS. also does anyone have experience with these i know there built well but what about performance and how much power should i give these. If i do buy them i plan on geting the rythmik plate amp 375W rms i beleive? Also does anyone know where to buy them in Canada? And yes i did a search but i just cant find the answers im looking for.
    Thanks, Kevin

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Dont worry about the max power handling because you wont even get close to the thermal limits in an IB. I cant find much info on that sub but usually car drivers are designed for very small boxes and an IB is basically a giant sealed sub. IMHO go with a proven HT IB driver like the Adire Audio Tempest www.adireaudio.com or a parts express IB driver www.partsexpress.com . You may want to get multiple drivers for the IB depending on the size of the room.

You may have already seen this site http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

And here is a good place to get drivers and amps as well
    www.creativesound.ca

3. Kevin Patterson

Yes I have been to "the cult" and thats where I got the idea and thomas probably one of the most knowlegeable people in IB reccomended this driver. I was planning on doing two not just one. I have looked all other drivers and originally I was goin with the dayton IB's but the DB Drive's just have more oh i donno... Balls. lol anyways if I can't find more info on the DB's I will probably go with the PE Dayton IB's That is unless I find something better for the money[​IMG]

4. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I see. Yes, if Thomas said they are good I'm sure they are. As I said before, I dont know anything about that driver and couldn't find anything. If you cant find them, you may find it's cheaper to order the Tempests from Bob at CSS than shipping the Daytons but I dont know for sure. Good luck finding them, and go Argos!

BTW there is a DIY meet thread here if you are interested:
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=45311

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

At this point in time it's more a matter if whether or not there are anymore DB-Driver PL15P4's available at a reasonable price.

I checked the net a couple of weeks ago and there was almost nothing out there...

6. Kevin Patterson

Thanks A lot Graham And Thomas I guesss I will continue my serch for a sub i may just go with the Tempests if I can't find anything cheaper. Since i do live in hamilton its GO TIGERCATS BOO ARGOS.

7. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

Adire is generally cheaper for Canadians... because of CSS as you'll save a lot in shipping, PST, brokerage, etc... They occasionally offer 1$ shipping within Canada.

That said, I still opted for the Stryke / Lambda IB15 being offered for four @ 396$US. I've dealt with Stryke in the past and he was ok about using USPS for the cross border shipping. Once I added all the import costs, I should be paying approximately the same for 4 IB15's as for 4 Tempests with 1$ shipping. I felt the IB15 were better engineered drivers.

PartsExpress drivers will cost you significantly more esp if they are still using UPS exclusively... as their shipping is higher and brokerage is ridiculous.
    Rob