What's new

Dazed and confused?? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Paul
First off Im still new to this forum so I hope this is the right place for this topic. I've always been a big fan of DTS, and I own about 200 DVD's but only about 20 of them are DTS. I just found a DTS DVD movie list on the internet, and alot of the movies mentioned in that list I already have, but on the movies I have it only says Dolby Digital 5.1. Take for example Airforce One is on that list as being in DTS, but on my copy it only says Dolby Digital 5.1, are alot of these movies recorded in both formats on the same DVD? And if so how do I get to the DTS track? My processor decodes Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital ES, and all the prologic modes as well, it also decodes DTS 5.1, DTS EX, DTS Neo 6, DTS with pro logic II with movie. So do I have this DD/DTS thing all wrong, or am I just ignorant about getting to the DTS format on my DVD's
Thanks Alot,
Paul.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
New but with a join date of over a year ago. Stop by more often.

Yes, most of these movies have both a DD and a DTS track on them. Most of the time it will default to DD. All you have to do is go into the language section of the DVD movie and choose DTS. My DVD player remote has a language button that will allow me to switch language tracks on the fly. I can quickly switch between them to see which sounds better. I'm also a fan of DTS so I usually leave it there.

-Robert

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Sansui 2000X

Take for example Airforce One is on that list as being in DTS, but on my copy it only says Dolby Digital 5.1

Air Force One
has several DVD versions. The original release doesn't have a DTS track, but the SuperBit release does. So it depends on which one you have.

Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the info,
I usually open the audio, and language set-ups in the menu before I watch a movie, and nowhere in the menu can I find a set-up for DTS, at least in most of my DVD movies, so maybe the DTS versions aren't as prevalent as the Dolby Digital versions, I guess I should start paying attention to the box where it states which format the movie is in. Just one more thing, I just got a blueray player, and is blueray formated in Dolby Digital, and DTS also, or is blueray something altogether different? Sorry if these are stupid questions.
Paul

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BluRay supports new lossless audio soundtracks -- Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master. The format also provides a lossy soundtrack for backward compatibility (the DD or DTS you are familiar with from standard DVD). In the case of Dolby TrueHD / Dolby Digital, the lossy DD track is a separate one (which may be hidden from the menus). In the case of DTS-HD MA, there is a "core" lossy DTS soundtrack that gets extracted from the lossless DTS-HD MA track during playback.

In most cases, the lossy DD or DTS tracks will be encoded at a higher bit rate for BluRay than those tracks on standard DVD, so even if you do not have hardware capable of supporting the newer audio codecs, you still can get slightly improved audio over standard DVD.

Real Name
Paul
Thanks so much for the info, every time I visit this sight it an education. I really wish I knew more about all this stuff, it's really changed from the time when I got my first Stereo equipment back in 1971. Home theater has really become complicated, I wish they gave classes on this subject like they do on computers. You guys have been really helpful to me and I greatly appriciate it, but sometimes I don't even understand half of what you guys are talking about, but I'll keep plugging away, I guess the only way to really learn this stuff is to stay on this sight, and keep experimenting with my equipment.
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjjj72