What's new

dazed and Confused special edition? (1 Viewer)

RickyGl

Auditioning
Anyone heard if universal is gona release one? If not are there in petioins running for this. A great movie that definitely needs a special edition.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I haven't bought the DVD since the DD 2.0 SUCKS compared to the PCM stereo on the LD.
With nothing else on the DVD there is very little reason to buy it just for the video improvement. I compared them and the video improvement is actually less to me than the audio downgrade.
Similar to Trainspotting Criterion LD vs regular DVD.
Dazed is a great film, but is it too much to ask that if you only put a DD 2.0 on the soundtrack that you just make that PCM instead. After all, either one is good enough for DVD standards compliance. If you have PCM then you don't have to have a Dolby Digital track at all.
Even worse for a film like this that is loaded with music.
My LD is literally one of the most requested films to watch by house guests. Yet to meet a person that hated it.
"Listen up you freshman f**ks!" :D

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I too would certainly love this film to be revisited on disc. It all depends on if Richard Linklater wishes to revisit this in the future, and most of his discs have been film only.
The current release is non-anamorphic widescreen, to boot. I've also heard wind of a longer cut existing somewhere, not sure where exactly though.
Nevertheless, it is a terrific film about adolescence, and oh how I wish I was a part of that grad party, which made our grad party look like a made for TV movie. :)
Jason

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about the non-anamorphic thing which is why the visuals are only a slight improvement over the LD detail.

Again, exact same thing with the Trainspotting DVD. Non-anamorphic and the Criterion LD has the DD 5.1 AND the original PCM stereo track, plus an interview, deleted scenes and commentary.

It sucks when a film DOES get a DVD and it's no real improvement on the LD that was already out and you realize they probably won't go back and revisit it later since they already put out one version.

Better to not have D&C or Trainspotting on DVD at all at this point so that we could hope a solid DVD was on the way.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I like Dazed & Confused, but what I'd really like to see is a Slacker dvd...

I Wonder if Criterion would do something with D&C ?
'Tis devoutly to be wished, but don't hold your breath. Doesn't Universal now have the distrib rights to this former Gramercy title? A shame -- only Criterion could give this the TLC it deserves.
I too have been waiting for an SE of D&C and therefore holding off on buying the current edition. D&C is the American Graffiti of its time -- not only in theme, but in its prescient casting -- it sports an incredible array of before-they-were-stars actors (Ben Affleck, Matthew McConaghey, Parker Posey, Adam Goldberg, Anthony Rapp -- and there's supposedly a split-second cameo by a very young Renee Zellweger).
I think the only reason Linklater hasn't done an SE yet is no one's asked him to. Maybe the (presumably soon-to-come) DVD of Waking Life -- which has got to be an SE in the works or I'll eat my hat -- will give RL a taste for SE content, and then he'll want to revisit his classics. D&C would be the obvious place to start, if Universal will let him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks