dazed and Confused special edition?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickyGl, Feb 24, 2002.

1. RickyGl

RickyGl Auditioning

Anyone heard if universal is gona release one? If not are there in petioins running for this. A great movie that definitely needs a special edition.

2. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I haven't heard anything but I sure would like to see a special edition myself.

3. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Hell Yeah, an SE would be awesome!

-Marshall

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I haven't bought the DVD since the DD 2.0 SUCKS compared to the PCM stereo on the LD.
    With nothing else on the DVD there is very little reason to buy it just for the video improvement. I compared them and the video improvement is actually less to me than the audio downgrade.
    Similar to Trainspotting Criterion LD vs regular DVD.
    Dazed is a great film, but is it too much to ask that if you only put a DD 2.0 on the soundtrack that you just make that PCM instead. After all, either one is good enough for DVD standards compliance. If you have PCM then you don't have to have a Dolby Digital track at all.
    Even worse for a film like this that is loaded with music.
    My LD is literally one of the most requested films to watch by house guests. Yet to meet a person that hated it.
    "Listen up you freshman f**ks!" [​IMG]

5. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

I too would certainly love this film to be revisited on disc. It all depends on if Richard Linklater wishes to revisit this in the future, and most of his discs have been film only.
    The current release is non-anamorphic widescreen, to boot. I've also heard wind of a longer cut existing somewhere, not sure where exactly though.
    Nevertheless, it is a terrific film about adolescence, and oh how I wish I was a part of that grad party, which made our grad party look like a made for TV movie. [​IMG]
    Jason

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I forgot about the non-anamorphic thing which is why the visuals are only a slight improvement over the LD detail.

Again, exact same thing with the Trainspotting DVD. Non-anamorphic and the Criterion LD has the DD 5.1 AND the original PCM stereo track, plus an interview, deleted scenes and commentary.

It sucks when a film DOES get a DVD and it's no real improvement on the LD that was already out and you realize they probably won't go back and revisit it later since they already put out one version.

Better to not have D&C or Trainspotting on DVD at all at this point so that we could hope a solid DVD was on the way.

7. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

THIS is one seriously over-looked movie [​IMG]
    ~ John

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I like Dazed & Confused, but what I'd really like to see is a Slacker dvd...

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Wonder if Criterion would do something with D&C ?

10. Chris Molanphy