Dayton Titanic vs. Adire Rava vs. ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DarrenAlan, Aug 27, 2003.

1. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I need a new sub, and after much research am pretty much down to two candidates: the well-regarded Dayton Titanic kit you can buy for about $350 delivered and the Adire Rava, about $425 to my door. Any preferences between these two, and any others I should consider? I would love an SVS, but I think WAF + budget precludes even their least expensive models.

Usage is about 30% movies, 30% TV (football & basketball, PBS, a couple of network shows) and 40% music. Am looking for tight, tuneful and relatively deep bass; maximum output is less of a consideration since the room is pretty reverberant and wife/daughter don't like things loud. Placement not an issue since it's a dedicated playroom/entertainment room. Relevant details follow.

Room: 23 x 17 x 8, RPTV, rack and speakers placed on the long wall

Equipment:
    -Yamaha HTR-5150 A/V receiver
    -Panasonic RP-91 DVD player doubling as a CDP for music
    -Panny 47WX49 RPTV
    -KEF Q15 mains
    -KEF Q95 center
    -JBL N-24 rear surrounds
    -DH Labs ICs and Qudos speaker cabling

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

DarrenAlan,

I own an Adire Rava sub and find it to work beautifully for both movies and music. It reproduces even the most complicated musical bass lines with great accuracy and I think it has more than enough slam for movie soundtracks in my setup.

As I understand it, the Rava has a larger (12" vs. 10") driver than the Titanic, a modified version of the same amp, and a better cabinet. I think these alone, particularly the better driver, is worth the price differential.

The only subs I can think of that you may wish to consider given your price and performance constraints are the Hsu VTF-2 ($499 w/ free shipping) and NHT SW-10II ($499). Both subs, despite their ported design, are supposedly very accurate and musical. While I haven't heard them, and therefore cannot give you any anecdotal comparison with the Rava, I would suspect that they can play both deeper and louder than the Rava, though with slightly less accuracy given their ported design.

I would see if I could track down a local NHT dealer to demo the SW-10II to see if you like it. Out of all the subs mentioned here, it is probably the most attractive and, if you like the sound you hear, can probably purchase it for less than the $499 retail. Otherwise, I think you would be more than happy with the Rava if you choose to go the online route.

Victor

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have the VTF-2, and I would say it should definitley be on your list in this price range. Lots of rumble for movies, but remains clean and not boomy for music. Surprisingly good sub at this price, and cleaner than I expected.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Between the two choices you mentioned, I'd take the Rava hands down.

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'd give it to the Rava as well for bang per buck.

6. Steve-sas

Steve-sas Agent

I had the same decision and went with the Dayton. I've never regretted my choice.

7. DarrenAlan

Thanks all!

I think I'm going Rava. I have a parquet wood floor and the Rava's red oak finish will complement it beautifully.

If I had another $200 I would go SVS 25-31PCi, but I don't so I won't. That would probably be overkill anyway and I doubt Wifey would like the big black tub vs. the very nice furniture-grade look o' the Rava.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Darren,

For $200 more there's always the Adire Dharman. It should be close to a 20-39PCi I'd think and it will have the same finish as the Rava.[​IMG]

9. DarrenAlan

The whole point is I don't HAVE the extra $200! Not with a SoCal mortgage, a toddler in expensive daycare, and my wife's sports car obsession to pay for ... ;-)

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I was just saying that for the extra $200 (if you had it) you could have a similar enclosure design to the Rava and not have to have the big black cylinder in your room. But the Rava should be a fine performer and I believe you'll be very happy with it.

11. DarrenAlan

Just ordered! $426 to my door from Seattle to San Diego.

I'll report once it arrives.

12. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

One good thing about the Rava is you could always rebuild(or have someone else do it) the enclosure to a larger vented design if you want more low bass.

13. DarrenAlan

Great tip! Thanks. I think the Rava will provide more than ample bass for my current needs.