What's new

Dayton (Tiny Mighty II) fuse keeps blowing! Help! (1 Viewer)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
My secondary/rear sub is a Dayton 10" subwoofer from Parts Express, better known as Tiny Mighty II. A few months ago I replaced the stock 10" driver in the sub with a spare HSU STF-2 driver I had. Performance with the new driver is far better, but that's already been discussed in another thread. Well, this past weekend I was listening to some music and my Dayton started making a weird buzzing sound, and then the power light went out and the sub was quiet. I pulled out the fuse and discovered that it had blown, a pretty severe internal explosion in the fuse, I might add; I've never seen a fuse blown so bad. I got myself some more 2 amp fuses and tried replacing it, but everytime I plug the power cord into the wall the fuse blows, and I've been through 4 fuses :frowning:

Any ideas what could be wrong? How's Dayton's warranty and after-sales service?

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=1
My DVD Collection

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Did you try putting the old Dayton Driver back to see if the problem is the VTF driver?

If that didn't fix it then Maybe something went wrong with the Dayton amp. If you email them your story, I dunno about a warranty because you put some other driver in their box, hehe..

You could always buy a plate amp for around $100 and hook that up to your VTF driver if you find out that the HSU driver still works.

Then your Dayton wouldn't be a total loss.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I had disconnected my STF-2 10" driver from the amp itself, replaced the fuse, plugged it into the wall and the fuse still kept blowing, so I'm pretty sure the driver is not the problem.

I called Parts Express and they've asked me to send in my amp and they'll have a look. They said they used to have this problem with the predecessor to this model, i.e. Tiny Mighty I (#300-630), but never heard of this problem with Tiny Mighty II (#300-632).

I've been running the STF-2 10" driver with the stock Dayton amp for over 2 months without a problem, but recently decided to increase my crossover to maximum and recalibrated using Avia to better blend the rear Tiny Mighty II with my front subwoofer, an HSU STF-2. While listening to music, I guess the STF-2 driver was hitting some frequencies the Dayton amp never before had to handle and something went wrong. I'm considering a possible upgrade of the amp, since the STF-2 driver improved the sound quality of the subwoofer so much I figure a better amp may help even more: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-792 Is this amp worth the upgrade?

Thanks

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=3
My DVD Collection

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That amp and x-over were not meant to handle the driver you put in there. It sounds like something in the amp shorted, and that may or may not have something to do with the different driver, but I suspect it does. If you fried the voice coil in the driver by underpowering it with that amp, it might blow fuses.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Thanks John, but I think the driver is still ok (I'll confirm by putting it in my HSU STF-2), and something in the amp may in fact have become shorted because of the x-over and driver I was making it push. I'm looking into upgrading to the 300-792 amp from Parts Express, maybe they'll let me pay the difference when I send them my "shorted" amp.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=5
My DVD Collection

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
MuneebM,

So how was the upgrade before the amp died? What would you compare the performance of the Dayton with the STF-2 driver? was it worth the money on the driver?

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Dorian, the upgrade made a huge improvement. The stock 10" Dayton driver for one thing was half the weight of the HSU STF-2 10" driver. The STF-2 driver has much cleaner bass and a lot more "oomph" in the bottom end. The driver swap transformed my sub into much more than just a $100 budget sub, it could almost compare with my real HSU STF-2 sub, but not quite because of the cheaper amp. Nonetheless, I was very surprised the Dayton amp was able to drive the 4 ohm STF-2 driver so well (the stock Dayton driver is 5.5 ohms) until it blew most recently. I think the cheapest part about the Dayton subwoofer is most definitely its low-quality driver, most of what you pay is going towards the amp.

And how much did the upgrade cost me? Nada, zip, $0! My primary sub, the HSU STF-2 was suffering from the air leak issue (air leaking out from around the surround of the 10" driver). HSU graciously sent me a brand new 10" driver and told me to keep my old leaky one as a paper weight. I took some GE all-purpose Silicone II and sealed the air leak all around the surround of the STF-2 driver and stuck it in the Dayton sub! I couldn't have been happier with my 2 subs: brand new driver in one, greatly improved driver in the other, all for free :D

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=7
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks