What's new

Dayton sub, talk me out of it! (1 Viewer)

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
ross,

Thanks! Right now her bark isn't even approaching anything resembling a sub tone but she's only 14 weeks. She gained 5 lbs in the past 2 weeks though so she'll be there soon enough!

Dorian,

Sorry 'bout the hijack!

brad cook

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I think you will enjoy the Dayton. I own the Dayton, a Boston PV600, and an SVS 20-39PCi. While the Dayton can't quite keep up with the other two, it is a very nice sub and you can't beat the price. When properly placed and calibrated, it did just fine in my 12x20 room with vaulted ceilings.

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator
Mine just came yesterday. I haven't had time to really fiddle with it, but I think that it definitely improves upon the range of my Axiom m3ti's (as powered by the Onkyo 501). I'm quite the neophyte, so I'm really unqualified to say much more than that right now, but I'm happy with my system so far.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Jarrod,

Have you had the chance to turn it up at all yet? Test it out and let us know your impressions. I'm sure you still know good sound when you hear it!

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator
OK...
For a little background info about my setup, it's currently in a 10 x 18.5' room at one end of the longer dimension, and I'm about 9' away from the mains (it's a 2.1 setup, as I cannot justify the cost of anything more elaborate for a college apt.); the sub is in the far left corner behind the L main. The room's walls are covered in hardwood paneling, which I would imagine has some effect on the sound (though this is all new to me, so I'm not quite sure what that effect is).

I have tried a variety of movies and music with the sub in place, from T3 to Pachelbel, and I actually smiled upon hearing how great everything has sounded. I don't really enjoy LOUD music, but I did crank it a bit (while keeping my neighbors in mind, as I'm on the 2nd floor), and everything seems to sound good no matter the volume level. After trying the new mains (I've only had them a couple of weeks--this is my first shot at a "home theater") and finding that they couldn't reproduce the lows in an Ozzy Ozbourne CD, I've been avoiding bassy material; I am now happy to say that there is no longer a need for such action.

As an aside, my sub came set on the maximum output level, and after I initially plugged it into the receiver, a bit of feedback was produced. I actually had to sit down for a few minutes as a result of the very deep, powerful sound : )

My first response was "whoa," and that response remains appropriate. As I become more educated, this may change, but I remain hopeful that it will not.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
The sub is here and hooked up.

Inital impressions?

Well, it is very solid. Good build quality, far better than average. It is not fancy but has a very nice finish. The driver has a rubber surround and is a treated cone. The amp has all the features you would need. Came double boxed.

As for sound, it is very tight. I can hear (should say feel) the lower frequencies compared to the RCA pro sub I had been using.

I started up Fast in furious in DD ES and it does not necessarily have more "shaking power" than the RCA, but is very tight and not as boomy.

Overall, it is more than worth the money. I have not had many subs to compare to but it is the best so far regardless of cost!

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Make sure you wire the speakers into the sub, as well as the sub cable. I did, and it increased the sound and power quite a bit. (I have a dayton Tiny II as well :) )

Of course, I might not have any idea what Im talking about, but it worked for me :)

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
David, running the front left and right speaker channels through the sub is really only needed for when you don't have a subwoofer pre-out on your receiver. It's not as optimal as using a pre-out.

Unhook those mains from the sub and plug them straight into the receiver. Use just the subwoofer pre-out. Recalibrate the system and I think you'll enjoy it even more (or if you don't calibrate with an SPL meter and calibration disc, adjust the gain on the subwoofer to your liking... make sure the crossover on it is turned all the way up as the receiver will be handling it).

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Rory,

Doesn't really matter how it looks. All about how it sounds.

It looks very utilitarian but it has a nice sound to it. Goes down to 25 hz and a great value. I would gues it has equal build quality to some of the "big name" subs that have an incredible mark-up. I almost bought a JBl E150 and a Velodyne CHT-10. They would have both done well for me. But for $100 less, I doubt I would know the difference.:D

kyle ^_^

Agent
Yeah the dayton looks great for the price... Another thing i think is a great deal for powered subs is the JBL E250 Northridge... Ive seen them for $235 shipped brand new on ebay, and $249 shipped at online stores. I think i might have to get one of those.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member

Hey, watch it there, Rory! :)

I do agree with you though on the aesthetics. I liked the look of the older Tiny Mighty sub much better. But hell, at this price point I'll take performance first. There's nothing else I'd buy for under $200.

Max F

Second Unit
I just got my dayton 10" sub in and i'm very pleased. Nice tight bass, seems to go down low. Hopefully, it really goes down to 25 hz as advertised.

This replaces my crappy Panasonic sub that i bought without doing research :frowning:. I must say that even a crappy sub for movies makes a difference, for music forgetaboutit.

Sometimes i hate this hobby. After replacing the sub i now have identified the next weakest link, my center speaker - starting to sound punny. I told my wife that this upgrade business will end after the sub, but it won't.. it can't :frowning:

If you want a good inexpensive sub, get the Dayton, bung hole and all!

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Don't worry. It does. However, it's reaching the frequency region where you actually hear less and less and start to feel the bass instead. You'll still sense some pressure in your ears at 25Hz. When I measured the response in my room I was surprised that I was getting 75dB (corrected value) at 25Hz sitting 12 feet away from the sub. I wasn't pushing the sub at all. Keep in mind I was getting ~75dB between 100Hz and 80Hz as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks