What's new

Dayton silk dome tweeters (1 Viewer)

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Hey DIY-ers...
Anyone used the Dayton 1-1/8 silk dome tweeters that are popular at Parts Express (pn 275-075)? I'm thinking of making some medium-priced MTMs (say, up to $300 for parts) and remembered that I had won the tweeters as a door prize at a DIY meet. Not sure of what woofers to use, though... Vifa, Seas, Scan-Speak, etc? These would be side speakers in an otherwise all-Dynaudio system with fully selectable sat-sub crossover points (Lexicon MC-12). They will be firing toward the rear of the room from inside columns just forward of the second row of seats. In the interest of time, I was hoping not to get into the whole design from scratch. My measurement mic is on the fritz anyway.

On the other hand, a $30 set of tweeters may not be worthy of basing a design around, so perhaps one of the popular kits (Kit-281, AV-3, etc.) would be better. I just hate throwing away good parts :D

I have some great designs for MTMs and WMTs with Dynaudio drivers, but the parts are very hard to find and wouldn't fit the current budget. :frowning:

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
They're pretty good. I used them with a pair of the 7" Dayton aluminum drivers in TMM configuration designed for exactly the same reason :). I can ask my friend Jared... they're his speakers and I have only listened to them in comparison to Kit281s. They are very good for the price ($200 or less in parts), but not quite up there with the $300 Adire and GR kits.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Go to www.speakerbuilder.net you will find several designs using those tweeters and various bugets as well. Allot of people have built the D III's and seem to like them. I haven't heard them personally though. I made the Dayton 8's found in the user submitted section they are MTM tower. Cost is about the same as the D III's, within $20.00 I think. It uses the 1 1/8" silk dome tweeter. I think the tweeter sounds fine.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mark, that was a great link. The D3s were exactly what I was thinking about. But after some thought... and further surfing on WayneJ's site, I've got more ideas to chew on:

For example, maybe the MTM arrangement (with controlled vertical polar response) may not be ideal for a surround where I would think you want broad "dispersion" in both horizontal and vertical planes. So maybe the Lyra (a conventional WMT) might be better in that regard.

Also, although I'd have to modify my columns, the idea of using two each of the "Dayton Budget Project" 2-ways back-to-back to form a dipole (or bipole) probably has some merit.

Thoughts?

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
I have definitive technology BP2X's for surround duty. They are bipolar and arranged as follows: TM oneside MT other side. Excellent for surround very enveloping.I would go bipole over dipole. Just personal preference. Given your diy experience I think whipping up some cabinets like those wouldn't be difficult. FYI mine uses a 5 1/4" woofer the BPX(next model up) uses 4 of them(2 per side) and they do sound better. If you wanted to go all out the BPVX uses 4 6.5's.
4 of dayton's 5 1/4" round frames + two more tweeters total up to 79.60+ shipping that should leave you plenty for XO parts:D If you went MTM on each side you still come out under 130.00+ shipping. Just my 2 cents.

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

Just to throw another option at you, using pretty much the same drivers as the D3's above, I built a set of these for my parents this last year. I was very pleased with the way they turned out, and my parents were tickled pink.

Just to be fair, I built them using the shielded versions of the mids and the tweet, but they dropped in just fine with no changes to the crossovers at all.

Here are some more designs by the same guy, and they are all feasable and capable designs.

Good luck!

Britney Fransen

Auditioning
I just built 7 of these for my father-in-law's HT. They sound really good (once they are broken in) and I am very impressed with them for the cost, which was about $70 per speaker. He also has a TL version of this that I am thinking about building.

Britney

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks