Dayton Quatro 10" sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AlexKunec, Jan 17, 2004.

1. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone heard anything about the Dayton Quatro 10" Sub. I need a sub for music only, so low end extension isnt necessary. I want lots of punchy midbass, even though most of you guys dont really recommend it. (Im still a teen and love the kick.)

I plan on building 2 subs each with 2 quatro 10s in them. They will act as stands for my gr-research av2s. I plan on double tuning them. Ill have 2 ports, with both opened tuned to 35hz, and one opened to 25hz. They will be appox. 70 liters in volume.

Does this sound good. I figure i should get more output then 2 shivas with 250w and itll cost about the same. They seem to be fairly efficient.

Does this sound good?

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I'd definitely trust Dayton to make a quality woofer. My DVC is great. The Quatro line looks like a good value.

70 liters @ 25Hz looks like a nice EBS alignment. I don't see anything wrong with that. And while the 70 liters @ 35Hz does have a fair sized peak (3dB), you might find that it gives you the kick you're looking for. And the 25Hz tune is a great fall-back point otherwise.

I'm not crazy about the idea of dual separated subs. I've tried it with my SVS and my DIY sonotube. Even after putting in a few hours playing test tones, adjusting phase controls and taking measurements I ended up with various nulls in various locations around the (large) room. Eventually I gave up and decided that since I can't place them together, I'll just run one of them. So my SVS is sitting there doing nothing. What a shame!

I'm not sure how you're figuring 2 10" Quatro's get you more output than 2 Shivas. Its not clear whether you're using 250 watts total or 250 watts per driver. With 250W total, the Shiva should beat the Quatro by about 1-3dB in either 25Hz or 35Hz configuration. If you're using 250W per driver, then the Quatro's will bottom before you reach 250W while the Shiva's will handle it just fine. So the gap widens.

3. AlexKunec

Im using 250win total for 4 dayton quatros. I will build 2 boxes with 2 drivers EACH. I expect that these 4 Quatros should put out a little more then 2 shivas, which cost the same amount.

4. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

actually 4 of the quatros will have about half the output of two shivas. The shivas have 16mm xmax, and the quatros have 8mm. I would do the 12" quatro myself instead of the two 10's.

5. AlexKunec

Sure 2 shivas can outdisplace 4 Quatros. But displacement becomes really important when dealing with really low bass. I only have 250 watts and I want to make the most MIDbass possible. When u drive 250w to a shiva with a 60hz sinewave, it wont be moving anywhere near 16mm. you would probably need at least a 1000 watts to make it move like that.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I say go for it. I think it'd rock out and look killer.

Listening to the Who?

7. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Yes, I misunderstood. 4 Quatros vs 2 Shivas with limited power (62 watts per woofer) is another matter.

And with 70 liters for 2 woofers, even the 35Hz tune looks pretty flat. The 25Hz tune alignment now looks like a halfway point between a typical vented sub and a sealed sub. It still has a fair advantage over Quatros in a true sealed box - about 5dB at 30Hz. But that sill leaves a lot of rolloff. Its not that different from a mid-to-low Q sealed Shiva or Tempest. And there's plenty of guys happy with those.