dayton or sony

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jon_ad, Dec 5, 2003.

1. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

What is a better setup the Sony SA-WX700 (198.00 etronics) or dual Dayton 10" (125 each)?

Any other suggestions in the >$350.00 range?

2. TedLee

TedLee Agent

omg, i hope you are joking about buying a sony speaker.

NEVER EVER BUY a SONY SPEAKER.

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Wow Ted! You are so insightful! [​IMG]

Jon, the Dayton sub is very nice for the price; very hard to beat. I have one of the other DLS 10" and it performs great. It doesn't go super deep, but enough to shake a small to medium room.

I am not familiar with that Sony sub, but if it's anything like the good bang-for-the-buck SA-WM40 it will do pretty good. The Sony SA-WX700 must be pretty new since I haven't heard anything about it, here anyway. You might check to see if Best Buy sells this Sony sub to give it a lesson, I know they sell other Sony subs.

Best of luck!

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I heard the WX-700 and was impressed for what a sub at that price could do. I would still try to avoid it as the Dayton I think could do a much better job than the Sony.

When I was foolin' around with the Sony it was great with music but it lacked in HT application for anything below like 40Hz.

5. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

Hi ChrisLazarko

I am really amazed that at your age (16 years old!) you have so much experience in HT.

Stelios

6. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

Well, lets put it this way,the SA-WX700 can outpound my JBL PB-12, and can play deeper or as deep. I opened up the cabinet today to see what it had, it could use a horizontal brace, and it didn't have any polyfill in it, but it sounds really clean stock, i wonder how much better it can sound with a teeny bit of mods. I can pretty much say that i'm 100% definate that it can go louder than the dayton,(never heard it though), just because of specs alone and amp power.
    Heck, for $200, your getting a push-pull designed dual 10" sealed sub with 250 watts rms of digital power (sounds like a sony add lol), and the controls are really easy to get a hold of when the sub is in place, just lean over and its right there facing up. Oh by the way, i got mine for $149 [​IMG].

7. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

Benihana,

Where did you get such a good price on the Sony?

8. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

it was a one time deal at shopsunshine.com. Its now back to $188. Still a good choice at that price. I think you will need 2 Daytons to either match or have more output than the sony. And since its a sealed design, it might sound better than the dayton for music, I've yet to hear the dayton, so keep that in mind. It rumbles for HT as well enough. i've actually prefer the Sony coupled with a pair Aura bass shaker pro's than a bigger sub, unless its a PB2-PLUS [​IMG].

9. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I also second the Sony SA-WX700, I have one, and for me its the best sub for $200. It isnt bommy, very flat. I have also a SVS 25-31PCi in my first setup, and I try them side by side, and the SVS has more output and can go lower and cleaner, but I was very impress by the output of the sony, but dont take my word for it, go and audition it, and see if you like it.

Good luck with your choice,
    Pablo

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The Hsu STF-2 would be my choice for $350, Hsu claims it is suppossed to perform similarly to the VTF-2 in max extension mode. If it doesn anything close to what they claim it makes for an excelletn bargain.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...D26D8014BDE17F