Dayton in-wall speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by harimo, Dec 17, 2003.

1. harimo

harimo Extra

Hi;

I have noticed that quite a few people have talked about the Dayton subwoofer from partsexpress.com. Has anyone tried their in-wall speakers ? I am considering them for a basement hometheater (projector + screen) setup. I need a decent set of in-wall speakers (5.1 set around $500).

Thanks,
    Harimo

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Harimo,

A few years back, I purchased a pair of Dayton in-wall speakers. The pair I purchased was part #: 300-429 which are 3-way speakers with 8" woofers. I found them to be extremely well built for the money. I only ended up using them for a short time because I then went to a 5-speaker system.

3. Craig Treusdell

I have been looking at the same thing but would like some more opinions on SQ and volume relative to price, since in-walls are the only option for the in-laws, and the Dayton flagship would not set me back all that much. I don't like buying speakers without either much positive feedback or a demo.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If anyone is seriously considering the 8" 3-way Dayton speakers, I have one pair available. They were never abused, and used very little while I had them installed.

The only issue is that I applied a light coat of tan paint to the grills and front frame of the speaker. The baffle is still black - as it was originally. I've had mine packed away for over a year now, because I pulled them out of the walls when I went with 5 matched speakers instead.

The 8" 3-way Dayton speakers are some good speakers that produce some good bass. If anyone was going to use them, but didn't have access to a subwoofer, then these speakers would be a good fit.