What's new

Dayton IIIs finished (pictures & text) (1 Viewer)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
So they're done, and I'm an idiot! (explanation below) Here is how they came out:

More pictures on the Dayton III gallery on: http://triton.homeip.net/gallery/

The Build

So, basically their a dual port semigloss black, with flush mount grills. I tried the spray adhesive method for the grills, but found that a simple stapler (it just barely fit over the 1/2" MDF) worked great, as long as it was closed. I couldn't get them to go in straight if it wasn't closed. Much less messy, and easier to handle.

Here is a closeup of the back of the grill: http://triton.homeip.net/gallery/dII...d_DCP_1274.JPG

There are actually staples running around the inside of the frame, too.

I also skipped out on the front port design, because of the information that the airflow could impede the tweeter. I also used the shielded woofers so they can sit next to the TV.

Impressions

A.k.a, why I'm an idiot. I won't go into the review of these speakers as many have already done this before me. But after completion and setup I sat there for 15 minutes swearing that the right speaker didn't sound as crisp as the left. Almost less forceful. My girlfriend disagreed, saying they were the same. I got to the point where I was about to rip the speakers out and take a look, when walking across the mass of tools I nearly stepped on... a quarter bag of polyfill that wasn't in the speaker. Doh! Does this make me an idiot? No. But in combination with the fact that I had just finished reassembling the SAME speaker because I forgot to hook up the bottom woofer, is. :)

Matt Dolejsi

Agent
very nice, do you like the sound, I've often thought about building a good MTM system for myself...can i get your general impression

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Well, first let me base my comparison. These are what I have listened to recently:

1) JVC Studio series towers, center, rears in 5.1 setup.
2) Bose surround in DIY solid wood cabinets coupled with my Dayton DVC sub
3) Sony full range drivers in a 5.1 system
4) Fisher 3 ways

Those are in order from best to worst. IMO the DIII's stack up very well against the JVC Studio's Towers, and blow away the other 3 (other than the DVC of course).
The JVC's have a bit more clarity in the midrange, probably due to their 3-way design, but the Dayton's took the cake in upper notes and bass, the latter of which supprised me to no end.

I had heard rants about how well the Dayton 6.5 could move air and sound good for the price, but never beleived it until I heard it. When properly built (notice how I could tell the difference without the polyfill) these woofers are wonderous. Tons of props to Wayne J. for this design, btw.

Granted, some of my impressions could be because they're "new". After a few weeks of listening I should be able to pick up on any of their flaws, and may have a few different comparison figures.

All in all, I am very happy. About the only thing I would have done different when looking back is cutting the edges at 45 degrees as to have no MDF edge to work with at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks