Dayton HF and Titanic enclosures (please rate/help)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Donnie M, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Donnie M

Donnie M Extra

First, PE doesn't fully list the T/S parameters for the HF, so if anyone knows where I can get them, please link!![​IMG]

Now, I was using WinISD for the Titanic MKIII and came up with a 5 ft^3 box tuned to 20Hz. It has 2 ports that are each 2 inches in diameter and 6.97 inches long. Could anyone critique this enclosure and/or possibly suggest another? I only have WinISD, so input from those running other programs is welcome. This enclosure appears to give pretty flat response down to 20Hz with a nice little hump from 20-30Hz that I'm hoping will be good in my large basement. I'm pretty new to HT and vented boxes, as I've only done sealed for car audio. Any input is welcome.

I'm looking for really good low-end extension while still being musical. I'm trying to keep the enclosure relatively small, since I'd like to take this with me to college, but I know this can only be realized to an extent...

Thanks for the input![​IMG]

P.S. This will be a cylindrical enclosure.

2. Donnie M

Donnie M Extra

Awww, come on guys. I don't mean to be annoying, but I'm pretty new to HT and vented enclosures in general.

3. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

That design is severely under ported. Check the rear port air velocity in WinISD. The recommendation is to keep the velocity below 17 m/s. Something like one 6" port would be much better. A 5 ft^3 cylinder should be tall enough to handle it. Two 4" ports would probably be the minimum. This is using a 300 watt input...more power = more porting needed.

I'd at least drop the tuning to 18hz. Even that may yield bloated bass in the 20-30 hz range, depending on room gain. I'd probably tune to 15hz if it was mine. Or go down to a 3 ft^3 box with a 20hz tuning. Give up some max spl for a smoother in room response.

Comparing your Titanic design to a RS HiFi in 4 ft^3 tuned to 20hz. The RS at max SPL gives up less than 3db to the Titanic at 20hz. If you assume a 300 watt input for either driver, the difference is only 1 db at 20hz. In exchange, you need less power for max output, less $$$ for the driver, a smaller cabinet, and most likely a more room friendly response frequency response. But, I don't believe the RS is recommended for down/up firing so it wouldn't work in a vertical cylinder.

You should also model the DVC12 and DVC15. The DVC15 wants at least a 6 ft^3 box, but if you're doing a vertical cylinder, it shouldn't cost you any more floor space than a 5 ft^3 12" driver if you're using 16" sonotube.

4. Donnie M

Donnie M Extra

Oh wow, yeah I totally forgot all about that. Thanks for catching that and saving me from undesired results!!! (told you I was a n00b) I'll try modeling up those drivers and boxes you suggested and see what happens. Thanks Brent.