What's new

Dayton DVC v. Shiva mk III - need help (1 Viewer)

Antony

Agent
Hello everyone,

It's time for me to start planning my DIY sub. I was originally planning a Shiva in the Adire vented alignment (will be about 89.25L internal volume without taking into consideration volume of bracing and driver) using an AVA250 plate amp. The above is all due to size considerations and WAF.

We use the system for 99% HT and 1% music.

My questions are:

1. How does the Dayton DVC compare to the Shiva mk III? I don't have time today (am at work) to compare the specs on each, before the PE special pricing ends.

2. Have people used the Daytons in the Adire alignments (if so, I'm assuming that they're very similar drivers).

3. The exterior dimensions will be about 28w x 19h x 14d, using 3/4" MDF, and a double layer on the side where the driver mounts. I originally planned a front-firing design (using one of the 28x19 sides as front). Will it make a difference to build it down-firing, using one of the 19x14 sides to mount the driver?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Antony

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
if your looking for subs right now, and your thinking about the shiva, I'd seriously jump on that price from PE, I have 4 of the 12's and they really are great subs.

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
the specs are almost identical, don't know what the standard deviation of the equipment used for the DUMAX testing is, but I wonder if they could be the same sub.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The $85 DVC deal is excellent. They only run this kind of pricing about once a year. Last time was in December (the day after Christmas actually) and I picked up a pair.

They're very nice woofers. Very similar to the Shiva's. The mk3 version of the Shiva included some nice improvements but no real performance advantage. And I think the DVC has had some similar design improvements it just didn't get a new mk2 moniker. The DVC's have nice compression binding posts where I think the Shiva still has the plane-jane terminals.

They have virtually identical displacement capabilities and their T/S parameters are similar. The Shiva likes a larger enclosure than the DVC. But the DVC has been used in larger enclosures with great success. Personally they seem similar enough that I would expect the DVC to sound very good in any of the Shiva alignments posted on the Adire website. It may not be PERFECTLY ideal. But close enough to embarass many a good commercial subs.

With your enclosure I get a gross internal volume of 3.2ft^3. After bracing and driver displacement you're probably down to 2.8ft^3. This is already a low-Q alignment for a sealed DVC so don't bother adding polyfil. If you go just a little bigger you could do an Adire alignment vented.

Antony

Agent
Thanks for all of your replies.

Ryan, I was actually planning on the Adire alignment vented. I didn't realize that the sub and bracing took up so much volume. I could probably increase overall dimensions by an inch all the way around. My target is approx. 3 cu ft of net volume without polyfill.

So the DVC will work in the Adire alignments?

Going to get severely low WAF on this "last minute decision" !!!

Thanks again,
Antony

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Antony,

You're probably close enough. Especially when you consider that the DVC T/S parameters seem to indicate a slightly smaller enclosure than the Shiva. Just don't forget to account for bracing, driver and vent volumes.

My DVC is in 102L with a 4x18 dual flared port for a tuning around 21-22Hz. It has a sound very similar to my SVS 25-31PC.

Have fun!

Antony

Agent
Thanks, am now running out of time for the deal.:frowning:
Is asking about the Titanic series a completely different rhelm of woofer?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Not completely different if you're talking about the 12 inch Titanic mk2. Again, relatively similar T/S parameters but 20% more excursion for, what, $140 or $150. The $85 DVC is a lot more bang for the buck. You could almost buy 2 of these for the price of one Titanic.

Antony

Agent
Thanks again. That was exactly my conclusion. I just finished placing the order (checked out @ 5:53pm EST !!). I do have a few more questions for you (since you have the same driver), but they could be asked and answered privately.

Antony

Antony

Agent
OK, here's one last question for anyone with experience. Since I've now ordered the Dayton DVC, and am planning on using a 250W amp in the box described above, would I suffer any disadvantage in sound/output by having the driver "front-firing" rather than "down-firing"?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Good choice, great price. :emoji_thumbsup: I used that woofer in this project and it was certainly worth the $120 I paid. Wish I needed another, too much crap laying around here already.

Antony

Agent
That's a beatiful enclosure Jack. Makes me start to reconsider my original finishing plan!!

Quick question, do you think I should use a PR rather than venting?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Front vs Down firing is pretty much a wash with this driver. Either will work fine.

PR's are used mostly when its difficult to fit an adequate port in your enclosure size. Ports are generally cheaper and do basically the same job. The Adire plans call for a 3" port because a 4" would have to be too long to fit in the box. In the sims it looks like even a 4" is a little underported. Flares help to some degree. Several have used the 4" dual flared ports in Tempest apps with no problems. If you go with a 3" port definately use a nice dual flared. If you're worried about air chuffing or compression then PR is a good, but more expensive alternative. Check out the Adire and Stryke websites for PR's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks