What's new

Dayton D3 question (1 Viewer)

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
I am kicking around the notion of building a D3 for a center channel next week. I have seen a couple of different options of these speakers. I am thinking of using the plans from speakerbuilder.net but possibly modifying them. Sinse this will be used as a center channel, does anyone know what the effect will be if i raise the tweeter towards the top? I am also thinking of putting the vent on the front underneath of the tweeter.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard them, but here are a couple of general comments about the design and your question.

1)IMO the woofer spacing is too far apart. Woofers in a MTM design need to be as close together as possible. And that means the tweeter should be offset to one side.

2)Don't put the port near the tweeter. The air coming out of the port can cause problems with the high frequencies from the tweeter.

If you haven't already done so, post your question to the PE forum. Given that's where Wayne's fan club is based, someone there should have built a pair of these.

Eric Y

Grip
I would not use the DIII for a center channel due to the reportedly weak mids. The Dayton 5-1/4" has much better mids and there is a design being worked on for a center channel called the "triune", search for it on the PE tech talk. If you have the dayton 6"ers allready, you could add a 5-1/4" and make the UNI-CC, which is reportedly very good.
Here are the websites:
Triune= www(dot)geocities.com/cc00541/Dayton_MTM_CC_FIN.html
UNI-CC= www(dot)ipee.com/DCC3/DaytonCC.html
good luck
Eric Y

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help guys. I think I might build the triune with the vented box shown. I might modify the brace inside though so that it runs parallel to the baffle.
Has anyone built this speaker and heard it?
For 55 bucks worth of parts it seems like a good project.

Users who are viewing this thread