Dayton, Cincy & Col. Ohio who wants Gregg's ISF services?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Apr 9, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I know that I cant be the only one in this area of Ohio, and a member of this forum, and be the only one who wants to get my theater calibrated. If you are in this surrounding area and want to see what everybody else is talking about, please respond to this thread. I am trying to organize a tour from Gregg to come out here and give us the gift of home theater bliss. Please, please, please respond if you are truly serious and I will get back with Gregg.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well,

I have a FPTV system, which I don't know if that's really Gregg's forte-- but I have at least one friend who might be interested in having Gregg go through his RPTV up here closer to Cleveland.

We're 2 hours from Columbus- but depending on how many people you get for down there- we might be able to justify a handful up this way.

-Vince

3. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I've been interesting in having my Toshiba 40H80 ISF calibrated for a while but don't trust anyone i've found locally to do it. From what i've seen so far on this forum Gregg is very highly reccommended. Do you have any idea how much the cost would be to have my set calibrated? I'm in Columbus, and if i can afford it (just spent my tax refund and more on a B&K 7270) I would definitely be interested.

Aaron

4. Michael St. Clair

I've got an RPTV in Cincy and I have some interest...however, I'm really looking for somebody with strong Sony experience...that's not Gregg's thing, is it?

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Vince, I can definitely take care of you.

Michael, I have done more than a dozen Sony sets (seems like I do about 5-6 toshs to one of anything else). I can make your set as good as it can get.

This is what I can do for your Sony set, (including color decoder correction):

Video Services provided

I provide full service calibrations not just gray scale correction and front panel adjustment. Your video display device cost a small fortune so don’t you want it to be able to display the most detailed and accurate picture possible? The following is a list of services provided for one input type (usually component 480P):

1.Pre evaluation of the viewing environment

2.Pre evaluation of the display device, projector, and cabling

3.Removal of the protective screen (where applicable)

4.Mechanical disconnection of SVM circuit

5.Image centering

6.Minimization of overscan

7.Correction of major geometry errors

8.Convergence touch up of all NTSC modes

9.Electronic focus adjustments

10.Mechanical focus adjustments

11.Cleaning of optics

12.Herman TLV Maneuver for applicable Toshiba sets

13.Grayscale adjustment to 6500 D Kelvin

14.Centering of front panel controls when ever possible

15.Adjustment of front panel controls from within the service menu

16.Color decoder adjustment where possible, either via service menu adjustment, EEPROM Reflashing (I2C Fix), or installation of a red push attenuator.

17.Lens striping, when required, to achieve a color temperature variation of less than 500 Kelvin.

18.Computer generated report showing pre and post calibration settings

Depending on the display device additional inputs may also be calibrated. These inputs include high definition (1080i), S Video (480i), etc. These additional services may be requested at the time of the calibration. As your display device ages the color guns will wear. To maintain accurate color throughout the life of the display it is recommended that the set be calibrated annually. Please see pricing for subsequent work.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Gregg

6. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Aaron,
    Here is break down of my pricing[​IMG]ricing information
    Pricing is based on the type of viewing device and the level of service requested.
    ·$225 for a direct view tube, LCD, or Plasma sets. Grayscale for one input
    o$150 for second and subsequent annual calibrations
    ·$400 package price for rear projection displays. Grayscale for one input
    oAdd $150 for addition input calibrated at the same time
    ·$225, for second and subsequent annual calibrations of one,input, $75 for additional inputs
    ·$450 package price for front projection displays. Grayscale for one input, Convergence for 1 scan rate
    ·$75 hourly rate for all additional services including advanced geometry work, convergence work for multiple aspect ratios, advanced troubleshooting, and Duvetyne lining when requested.
    ·$35 hourly rate travel time based on round trip travel
    Please email for specific pricing quotes.
    Upcoming tours
    ·Local service includes: MA, ME, VT, CT, NH, and RI
    ·Regular trips to Detroit and Minneapolis via stopovers on North West Airlines
    ·Regular trips to Eastern Canada including the Maritimes
    ·Chicago in April 2002
    ·New Jersey, NY, PA areas in May 2002
    ·DC and Area in May 2002
    ·Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, and, North Carolina areas in June 2002
    ·Virginia Beach area in July 2002
    ·San Diego and Los Angeles in late July 2002, September 2002, then every 3 months
    ·South Florida November 2002
    How to request a tour to your area
    Email and state you would like me to come to your area. I require a minimum of 4 calibrations to come to a location on the East coast, 6 calibrations for a location on the West coast. My expenses must be covered, so by getting a group of 4 persons or more together the expense share is less (usually $50 per participant). I try to fly with Saturday night stay overs to minimize the cost to the participants and I never turn down the offer of a couch for the night. I will buy the plane ticket once I receive the required number of expense shares. The dates will be verified prior to the purchase of the ticket. If the trip, for any reason, does not materialize you will be given a refund. Your expense share is non refundable once the plane ticket is purchased

7. Michael St. Clair

I'd probably be in, depending on the calendar (a recent death in the family has me often going out of town to northern Ohio to help deal with family business issues), us getting enough people to make travel expenses reasonable, me getting some clarification from Gregg on a couple of the details of the individual line items.

8. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

Michael, if at all possible have Gregg do your sony. He did my 40xbr700 last week; what an incredible improvement.

9. William Laughner

William Laughner Stunt Coordinator

I would defintely be interested in a Columbus, OH tour. I bought a Sony 57HW40 back in feburary and it needs calibrated badly.

10. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I'm starting to get excited . I have a samsung by the way Gregg I bet you never did one of those huh?

11. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Nope, never done a Samsung, not a biggie, Ill get buy the service manual prior to coming and will be able to do everything that I have listed above for your set.

Gregg

12. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Now is everything that you listed included in the package price? Or do you have a hourly rate on top off that? Or is the hourly rate only for front projectors?

13. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi!

Post 5 lists everything I do as a package price of $400 for RPTVs, add $150 for including 1080i done at the same time. There are a couple of exceptions, ie: I charge $475 for the new Panasonics.

Gregg

14. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Depending on the timing of the proposed tour, I'd be interested. This would be a great opportunity.

-Ross

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Cool! $400 !! That's nothing, I blow that a month on nothing!(beer, smokes, etc)[​IMG] Looks like we have 4 and a possible, depending on how far away Vince is, I'll have to look at a map to be sure, but Columbus is 35 to 40 min away from me, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Well, I guess all we need to do now is schedule a date, it will have to be Jun or later for me since I just bought a house and I'll be moving in around Jun 1st. And I'm a lil skeptical about moving the tv after calibration.
    So Gregg whats a good date range for you? I'll see if thats a good time for the others.. And by the way I have a guest bedroom with it's own bathroom for ya, so you'll have a nice place to crash(vs the couch), and the wife's cooking is superb (have to get some soul food in ya, lol)[​IMG]

16. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

Since you work with TV's so much I thought you might have a top 3 or top 5 list of favorite RPTV's. Just curious to see what you think since you have far more hands on experience than most.

17. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I would imagine if Gregg can Stretch this into a multi-day thing, we could come up with enough NE Ohio people to make it worth him spending a whole day up this way. I would imagine if he does my LT150 and my friends RPTV set- that's two right there, we could probably find a third or forth if necessary.

-Vince

18. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI guys, If a small group, I could get to you in late May. If larger it would have to be early July. Please email me directly when if you are ready to say "lets do it"

Gregg

19. Michael St. Clair

I'm a 'probably', not a maybe...July is better for me though.

Also, Gregg should likely not fly into Cincinnati...it is the most expensive city in Ohio to fly into/out of.

20. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    We can do July. Email me if on board. Once I get 4 $50 deposits we can get some firm dates and I will book a ticket.
    [​IMG]