Dayton BR-1 impressions?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jacob*C, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Jacob*C

Jacob*C Auditioning

I just wanted to know what everybody thinks of the PE Dayton BR-1's. I haven't seen much on here about them, and I was just wondering what premade speakers they are comparable too. At the 150 that they cost, are you getting a deal by going DIY or are there better options?

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I wrote a pretty lengthy review on them back when they first came out like 2 years ago.

Too bad I think it was erased... !!

Anyways I can give u a brief one:

Took me about an hour to build, everything was straight forward, easy to follow instructions for a novice and you just have to know how to do basic soldering.

The cabinet is PRE-drilled so u just need a screw driver to screw in the drivers and terminal cup. It is CNCed so everything is perfectly manufacturered and I couldn't be more suprised at the quality of the painted black piano cabinet I received. The packaging was great, the finish was flawless and better than I expected.

You receive quality Dayton parts, and none of it really felt cheap.

As for sound:

They have relatively smooth, "on the laid back side" highs from the silk dome that seemlessly integrates with the woofer. They may not be the most detailed of tweeters in this configuration, but it worked and the result is a natural sounding (slightly warm) speaker. The highs lacked a "sparkle" to them in some listenings, but then again, I always preferred brighter speakers than most people. The tweeter might have needed more time to break in, I only get to listen to them for a day before I installed them. My client was pleased with them, especially since they were only $150 shipped at the time.

There was adequate bass coming from them. The bass was clean, not boomy, and seemed to be only a tad disconnected from the rest of the sound spectrum.

At the cost, I don't think you can beat them. You can do the math and add up the parts which includes polyprop caps and wire wound inductors...

It's a pretty solid speaker that you would expect to see in stores selling for at least $250 retail.

If you are new to DIY. These would be an excellent "error proof" KIT that would be hard to go wrong with.

They arn't exactly a $500 speaker... But they include all the details that high end speakers have which includes internal bracing, quality XO parts, and interior egg crate box lining. The MDF is of A-grade quality, and the craftsmanship is flawless.

If somebody asked me again for a bang per buck "kit". I could mention this one.

I would compare them to your average $300 consumer bookshelf speaker that has a silk dome. The difference might be you get pretty good bass with the BR-1s.

Comparing them to a GR-Research AV-1, I'd say that the BR-1s are slightly underneath them.

3. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

I have them and find the bass to be somewhat muddy stock (might be my room), but better than anything you'll get retail for 150 bucks a pair. The suggestions on the back of the instruction guide helped quite a bit.(different caps) They don't sound too good once they get into the 95 dB+ range. They're really muddy by then and clarity is almost missing.

4. Jacob*C

Jacob*C Auditioning

thanks guys...maybe these arent for me. I have been reading a few reviews and saw that they are rather laid back, and I will also probably be pushing them pretty hard for music at times. Aparently, I'm just gonna have to step up the budget for fronts to get something nice.