Dayton and Vifa=INSANE budget SQ

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JesseW, Mar 1, 2004.

1. JesseW

JesseW Extra

I bought, from parts express, the 5 1/4 sheilded #295-300 woofer and the Vifa 3/4" poly dome tweet #264-500. I installed them at a X-over of 3500Hz (12Bd for tweets, 6Db for mids) in .5 cubes each mid and ported 40Hz. The setup is only in stereo right now (single tweet and mid for each left and right). The receiver is the pioneer 412 something-or-rather [​IMG] 100X2.

I put in some music. Played some rock, classic, instrumental, etc. More accurate than anything i have ever heard! INSANE bass response! very percise tweets! Oh man everybody in the room first heard these and just dropped their jaws!

Then, i put in a few movies. So far, i really just got American History X on there. When he threw the cash register through the glass, OMG! It sounded... amazing! Also, in the movie, a car drives by bumping. For not having a subwoofer in the setup, it sure played every not of the bass pretty accuratly! Though it did put a little mudiness in the sound when played with midrange at the same time. Still, it sounded excellent.

I still have 3 more Xovers and boxes to build for the rest of the 5.1 system.

but anybody looking for a budget setup, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! And i have compared this to say Klipsch (spelling?) (was at a local shop watching some movies a few days ago for ideas) and i can honestly say, though not quite as good as the high end klipsch, for a mid to low power handling application, what more can a person want [​IMG]

2. RobLJ

RobLJ Stunt Coordinator

I'd love to see some pics of them. And what are the dim's on the enclosures?[​IMG]

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Wow, that's wonderful. How did you design the crossover?

4. JesseW

JesseW Extra

i took a .40 mH 20Ga coil and a 5.6 uF cap to get a 12Db octave Xover for the tweets. I put a single .25mH 20awg coil on the woofer to keep them from hitting too high. I dont know if i can post pics here, though, or i would... [​IMG]

But i must say, there isnt a single person who hasnt been impressed by them yet! Everybody knows me as the car audio genious (do a lot of SQ and SPL installs around here), and this is my first attempt at home audio. So im pretty impressed by these speakers. I just want to get my RTA on them now and get a readout of how flat the response is on these guys. But i must say, music and movies both and just AMAZING sounding, especialy since i spent a whole 162.25 on speakers and Xover parts (shipping as well). The receiver cost me 150 plus tax (came out like 165 or so). So for about 320 dollars, i got a VERY nice surround sound system... though a subwoofer is still in mind. But for now, the bass these guys put out is plenty for me!

If anybody wants pics of anything, let me know, ill hook ya up [​IMG]

5. RobLJ

RobLJ Stunt Coordinator

I'd love to see some pics.[​IMG]

6. JesseW

JesseW Extra

how would i post pics on this forum???

7. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

You could start a free account at some place like www.webshots.com , put them in an album and then just use the URL to it. Webshots even gives you the option to use the URL of the pictures on places like Ebay. So you'd just hit the IMG button when posting a reply here and use the URL from Webshots that they allow you to use for your pics.

Something like that anyway.

8. JesseW

JesseW Extra

hmm i might use my sounddomain page... gimme a few days, ill get something on there, im sure [​IMG]