What's new

Dayton Air Show...2003 (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Just got back from the Dayton Air Show....AWESOME!!

Every year, Dayton holds one of the premier air shows in the world....this year was even better. One of these Jet Teams flies each year: Canadian Snowbirds, Navy Blue Angles, or Air Force Thunderbirds. 2003 is the 100th anniversary of powered flight. This year, they had all three!!:emoji_thumbsup:

I got some great video with my JVC Mini DV camcorder. I can't wait till I edit then burn a DVD of this show.

Dayton...The Birth Place of Aviation!! (Orville and Wibur would not believe what they had started)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
You were very lucky to have seen all three of these demonstration squadrons at the same time. The Canadien Snow birds, Airforce Thunderbirds and the finest demonstration squadron in the world, The U.S. Navy Blue Angels only perfom together once a year either in Pensacola, Fl or at Nellis AFB in Nevada. These air shows are rarely open to the public and are reserved just for the members of the demostration teams and those lucky enough to be stationed at these bases while the airshows are being performed.

I was fortunate enough to have been a member of the Blue Angels for three years from October of 1995 through the 1998 show season. I was only lucky enough to have seen all three demo squadrons twice during my three year tour and I'll agree that it was an awesome display of air power. I also did the Dayton Ohio airshow while I was on the team back in '96 or '97. I remember the locals there being very patriotic and friendly.

Take Care,

Greg

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
greggor,

E-mail me your mailing address, and I'd be proud to send you a copy of my DVD. It was fun to film. A friend got some great stills that will be included on the DVD!!

What function did you perform on the U.S. Navy Blue Angels?

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Alan,

Feel free to use the email address listed under my profile. I would be very interested in veiwing what you have filmed.

My first year on the team I was the crew chief on the number three jet, my second year I moved to the four jet with the pilot that I crew chiefed for. The pilot I crew chiefed for was only on the team for two years, so my third year I went to the Airframes shop (Airframer by trade). Crew Chief was really just a two year good deal.

Those were some of the best years of naval career. I still catch an occasional airshow when the Blue Angels perform here in lemoore.

Greg

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Ya know, I went to UD for college and not once did I go back to campus during the summer to see the air show! The only time I happened to be in town was when my roommate got married and I threatened to skip the wedding and go to the airshow instead, needless to say I didn't get to see the airshow.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
That is very impressive, greggor. I bet it was a blast!!:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm in the aerospace industry as a manufacturing engineer. My company makes engine fairings for the F-15, stabilators for the F-14, and the air ducts for the Navy L.C.A.C. (Landing Craft Air Cushion). Like I need to explain that to you. LOL!!

Our main products are acoustic exhaust nozzles for the Boeing 727, 737. 747, and the Airbus A318, A340, and the new "big boy" the A380!!

Mike,

I've been a huge UD Flyer fan since back in the mid 60's. I use to work at NCR on the corner of Patterson and Stewart in the Marketing Dept. as a computer operator...early 70's.

GO FLYERS!!

E

Eric Kahn

I was at the Dayton air show sat, I will second "AWESOME"
The Waco with the jet engine strapped under the fuselage was something else entirely:)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Eric, and especially with someone strapped on top of the wing...I got it on video. That was a Wacky Waco!!

The company I work for use to make their own planes...Aeronca. They built over 17,000 planes before the early 50's. The Champ and the Chief were some of their models.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I don't know Alan sounds like your job is pretty impressive.

The Blue Angels was a blast but the traveling and maintenance was very laborious. Needless to say when my three years were up I was more than ready to return to the fleet.

Now I'm a proud member of the F/A-18F Super Hornet community where I will be transferring to Japan in late September.

If you send me a copy of that DVD I would be more than happy to send you some Blue Angel stuff I have laying around.

Take care,
Greg

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Greg....you've got mail.

The DVD turned out pretty well. It's about 43 min. long. Remember, I am not a professional videographer, but I must say, the DVD will give you a good taste of all three of the Jet Teams in action!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Greg,

You DVD is in the mail.....ENJOY!!

BTW,

Anybody else who might be interested in a copy of this DVD, I will be happy to mail it to you for a nominal fee of $10 to cover the cost of the blank DVD and postage.

Makes a great souvenir if you were there!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Alan it woulda been great if you coulda brought that to the meet (to bad the meet was a month before the Air show.;) ) I'd love to come over and check that dvd out, be a good excuse to come here your new outlaw.:D

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
LaMarcus,

We will get together soon. Got my tweeter back!! The Outlaw sounds great!!

I'm pretty happy with the DVD....love this new computer with DVD burner!!

Take care, my friend!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Eric,

You've got mail. Give me a call at work today or at home this weekend. I'll fix you up with a DVD of the Dayton Air Show.

Seems a lot of people from Aeronca went to the show. I had to go buy 20 blank DVD's last night. I'm taking about 10 DVD's to work this morning.

Call me!!

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Alan,

I just finished watching the DVD. You did an awesome job filming everything. Lots of footage of some great aerial acts. I had forgotten just how great the Canadien Snowbirds are. The fact they can fly that many jets in formation at the same time never fails to amaze me. Of course the Blues looked great as always. watching them brought back a mulititude of great memories, thanks.

Anyways I just wanted to thank you again for going out of your way and sending me the DVD. I'll be sending you a few items in the mail this week so be on the look out!

Greg

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Greg,

I was hoping that you'd like that video I took. My friend, Marty, contributed the stills from his digital camera. I use a software called Pinnacle Studio to do the editing and labeling.

I tried to tie the stills to the action as best I could. Kevin and I got separated early on from Marty and Tom. Did you pick up on my timing inserting the picture of the group that went to the show. "A Blimp and Hot Air Balloons". We were just waiting for the largest crowd to ever attend a Dayton Air Show to filter out!! A nice lady took our picture.

BTW, I'm the blimp on the right!!

Looking forward to some Blue Angel stuff...you take care!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Greg,

I just got the Blue Angel stuff....THANKS!!

I really like the two Blues Angel crests and poster. I'm heading out to Wal-Mart for a poster frame so that I can hang it on my office wall at work. I'm sure it will be admired by all of my co-workers!! In a smaller frame, I've printed out where you received the DVD and told me that you were sending me some stuff. I will display one of the crest in with the print out in the smaller frame.

Thanks again, Greg!!

Eric,

It was nice meeting you. I'm glad you got to come up to Middletown for a visit. You'll have to join us for our next Greater Cincinnati Local HTF Meet!!

BTW guys, I ended up making over 20 copies of this DVD for friends and co-workers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks