1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dayton 12 inch?? ON SALE

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin G., Aug 18, 2005.

1. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Has anyone tried this...Dayton 12 inch
    Is it anywhere near as good as the 10?? I'm so happy with my ten incher but for that price...!!!!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Ever since that guy went on sale, I've been recommending it to people. I haven't heard it, but if the 10" is any indicator, I'd say it's probably worth it. That's a great price, and it's been at that price for most of this month...

3. billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv Stunt Coordinator

I sure wish someone who has bought one would post some FR & SPL measurement graphs. I would like to know just what it can do at the advertised 25 hz.

4. John S

John S Producer

I installed a couple last weekend. Pretty amazing for the money. At 25hz? It will be better than any other $138 sub out there.

I was not paid to graph it in such a way.... If your concerned to the point of FR & SPL, I think you need to buy a meaner sub for sure.

5. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Considering that the 10" goes done to 25hz flat in my living room, i don't think the 12" will have much of a problem. Probably fall off anywhere from 20-25hz. I still love my tiny mighty, BTW - with a BFD, of course!

6. John S

John S Producer

Oh man, if you coupled these 12"'rs with PEQ, they would really be impressive. I'd say the roll off on these after 25hz is very steep still, just an impression though, nothing concrete on that by any means.

7. billybob_jcv

How does the Dayton really look? The picture at PE is not very flattering - it makes it look sort of KLH cheap & ugly, if you know what I mean. It would be a lot easier for me to get WAF for a pair of the Daytons if they look better than a cardboard box that has been spray-painted black. [​IMG]

8. John S

John S Producer

Nothing to write home about asthetically....

A recent wife made me put them under the open end tables where they just fit.

I would not describe them as a cardboard box painted black, but I would not describe them as an asthetically pleasing sub either.

Just your basic decent sub design with no frills.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For that price, I would say you can't really complain about the looks [​IMG]

10. John S

John S Producer

That is my real thinking as well....

This is a bargain solution have no doubt. While they are quite respectable subs, they are nothing special at all.

But no subs $300 and under will either.

11. billybob_jcv

Clearly, you haven't met my wife! [​IMG]

12. John S

John S Producer

Not even with the cost savings? That can usually bring the wife around.

But as I stated, I installed two recently and the wife hated the way they looked. I thought they looked cool tucked under their open glass oak end tables though, had a classy feel with the natural oak wood of the end tables. Looked like it was made that way even.

I should of snap'd a pic, maybe I still can.

13. David Blair

David Blair Stunt Coordinator

The finish is very similar to my JBL E30's. But with a little more of a wood grain appearance.

This is my first subwoofer and for $150 I'm impressed with the results. I'm the LOTR series movies to try and find the best sub/reciever settings.

14. Duane Deen

Duane Deen Auditioning

I ordered the Dayton 12 for $138 the other day, it arrived broken though. The finish was good for a cheap sub, made in China. Nothing spectacular. I was disappointed when I opened the box though, as 4 of the 6 screws, or 6 of the 8 screws I can't remember, had been ripped out of the cabinet and the speaker was hanging out held in by only 2 screws. I don't know if it just took a lot of abuse in shipping or if they used the wrong screws or the box just didn't hold up. So I called up Parts Express and had to send it back. They said they would refund my shipping, and send me another sub. I'll write more when I get the replacement. I haven't seen anybody else write on this forum with problems so I was suprised when it arrived broken.

15. Duane Deen

Duane Deen Auditioning

The Saga Continues: Now Parts Express is not going to fully refund my return shipping. They only allowed $16 out of my $23 cost to ship it back. And now they are backordered on the Dayton 12 sub. so I don't know when I will get a replacement.

16. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's not right at all - they should have provided a paid shipping method, like an account # or paid return tag via mail, not to shell out-of-pocket again.

I'd be REALLY pissed off.[​IMG]

17. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Man, I am VERY SURPRISED at this, to say the least...PE is usually VERY good at customer service...
    Have you taken it any farther??
    They will make up their shipping with the company they shipped with, so it's no skin off their nose.
    As a side note...I have a friend that worked for UPS, and in his first week, he was taking the Dell computers one by one from one conveyor to the shipping floor, when his boss yelled at him "what the hell are you doing?" He said that he was being careful because they were computers...and his boss proceeded to show him how they just roll it off the first conveyor to the shipping dock.
    I know that my 10 inch was double boxed and the outer box was torn and damaged, but the inner was like new. adn the 10 inch was perfect!!

18. DavidAMennie

DavidAMennie Stunt Coordinator

My Dayton 12" was damaged, and PE sent me a prepaid ups tag, to send it back...I don't understand why they wouldn't do the same for you...The packaging on these 12's is not good...I would think they'd have figured it out by now..

19. GregUVA

GregUVA Auditioning

The price on the subs has been lowered again. Get 'em while they're hot (and cheap)!

20. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

when it says free shipping that doesn't apply to Canada right? damnit, i would so buy this or the 10 right now if the shipping was free.