Dayton 12" DVC vs. 12" Titanic org.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkRoberts, Mar 19, 2004.

1. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at ordering the 12" DVC and a 250w plate amp and I noticed the original Titanic 1200 12" for basically the same price. Anyone out there ever hear the original Titanic? Would it be better than the 12" DVC? I was looking at a 85L enclosure with a 4" port. Basically the same as the shiva 85l enclosure. With winISD it (12"DVC) modeled out pretty impressive. I basically just want to know which one is the best between the two. Sound quality is most important I will use it for both music and movies.

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Go with the DVC in that enclosure. The original Titanic wants to be sealed and wont be as good at home theater as the DVC will be.

3. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input kyle. Your site is cool, been there many times over the last few months doing research. How does the DVC sound in that type of enclosure? If my first project goes well I am sure I will build again. I haven't seen many maelstrom subs. How musical is it? Your site as well as adire's mention you can achieve 115db@20hz in room with a sealed enclosure. All the applications I see are for vented enclosures, why? Is it because all you need to do is literally make a 22" cube enclosure? I like the idea of that kind of performance out of that small of a box. This time around cost is a issue so I am looking to complete mine for around $300.00. Next time though I think a sealed maelstrom might be the ticket.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

The DVC will sopnd great in an 85L enclosure!
    The Maelstrom can do that in room, not anechoically. I'm not sure why they havent published any sealed designs but the 22" cube is a good one to go with if you decide to use the Maelstrom in the future.