Dayton 10" Titanic Woofer Kit w/ No logo on dust cover???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark DL, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Mark DL

Mark DL Auditioning

I just received my 10" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER KIT / Part Number 300-760. Kit went together very smoothly, however i have a question. In everything I have ever seen the dustcover has a Dayton Audio logo on it. Even the manual notes that you should have the woofer in the cabinet with the Dayton logo upright. The woofer I received from Parts Express has no logo. However on the back it has a Dayton Titanic MKIII sticker. This may be a stupid question but could this be the wrong sub? Or is it just how some of them come? I just want to sub i payed for.

Thanks, Mark

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Possibly a newer version, and it's possible the instructions are older than the driver. I'd call them, but I'd say it's unlikely that it's the wrong one.

3. Jeff_Wi

Jeff_Wi Stunt Coordinator

I just bought one of these a few months ago and it has the logo. Also, if you don't find the bass tight enough for you, get rid of the acoustic foam they give you and get some poly fill from WalMart, Kmart, whatever and stuff the box. It made a big difference for me. Now it sounds like a sealed box should, tight and fast.

4. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Jeff:

How much poly fill did you place in the cabinet? I recently converted an old Radio Shack ported 12" sub into a sealed unit using a new Dayton DVC sub woofer. Sounds much better than before. I purchase a bag of poly fill from Parts Express and after pulling it apart to expand the fill, I put it in the cabinent. It did not quite fill the entire cabinet. I have some poly batting material lying around. Should I add some of that to the cabinet?

5. Mark DL

Mark DL Auditioning

I have no poly fill at this point only the foam lining that was provided which has been installed on all sides minus the woofer and amp side. So does it sound better because of the new driver or because you pulled out the foam and filled it with poly? also I've never used poly, do you pack it? fill it loosely say like a pillow?

6. Jeff_Wi

Jeff_Wi Stunt Coordinator

Well, I bougt a 20 oz. bag of poly fill and used maybe 6 oz. of it. I was rather surprised since I thought I would use alot more. However, I forgot the space taken up by the woofer, brace and plate amp. I originally had the box lined neatly on all sides except the front and back with the 2" foam. Frankly, the more I listened to it with the foam, I felt like it wasn't tight enough for a sealed box. As far as stuffing the box, I just shoved it in evenly making sure I didn't get it too close to the woofer framework. I would say I stuffed it fairly dense. I will say there is no comparison before and after. Acoustic foam may be great for other subs or speakers, but not this kit.