Dayton 10" sub worth buying?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jimi C, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Hello all, Im looking for a new sub to replace my dead *cough*KLH*cough* sub (which i bought on a whim about 3 years ago at best buy for $89). The amp recently quit and since then I've been on the Internet searching everyday for opinions on budget powered subs. The one that seems to be talked about the most is the Dayton 10" from parts express. My question is, is there anything better than this sub in the same price range, i want to try to keep it under $175 shipped. Im only 18 and im on a budget, i don't want to spend more on a sub than i did on my receiver and towers. Im fortunate in that I've never been exposed to a true high end HT. So, fortunately, i don't really know what good is. Thus, to me, decent is great. (am i making any sense yet?) My receiver is a Kenwood Vr306, towers are Fluance sv10's.
    Im about 50/50, music/movies.

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Jimi, a search on "budget subwoofers" should help you out. Have you considered buying used?

3. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Yeah, it's not bad if you have a smaller room. I use one in my game room which is about 14 x 18, and I use it for music only. It does a pretty good job, it blends in well.

However, I have never tried it on movies so I can't help you there (I have a svs 20-39 pci in my ht room).

4. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

Look into the Velodyne VX-10. Sound City has it for 129.00 [​IMG][​IMG]

5. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

The Dayton is a very good sub for the price. Plenty of praise for it on this forum, also known as Tiny Mighty II.

6. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

The room is about 26' x 15', its a long narrow room that is divided by a bar, so the section where the sub would be is roughly 15'x15'. Lets say i was able to up the budget to $250. Would i be able to get something considerably better than the Dayton?

7. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

You could get a better sub, but IMO you'd be better off getting some good cable/wire for your set-up with what you have left over. Maybe even a good DVD to try the new sub out with.[​IMG]

8. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Around here the KLH SW10 is known as, Tiny Coffee table II.

9. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

What about this sub? etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=4147&stk_code=cerlw10&svbname=16