Days of Wine and Roses - Color????

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tommy G, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Well, I went to pre-order this Jack Lemmon classic but noticed that the dvd is set to be released in color. Is it just me or did I view this on TCM in B&W? I think by 1962 color was pretty much used on a regular basis but B&W had to be Director's intent here due to the "darkness" of the movie as a whole. Needless to say, I did not pre-order but I need to know if I am flat out wrong and that I did indeed view it in color and am just hallucinating.

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I think this was a misprint. Only Ted Turner would ever attempt to "colorize" such a classic. I wouldn't worry, it will probably be b&w.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The movie is black & white and I will bet anything that the DVD is as well. Most likely, the retailer (or the studio) used their standard template for the data on the movie and forgot to change "color" to "b & w".

4. BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel Stunt Coordinator

It's black-and-white. Why doesn't anyone just assume that a website has their info wrong - I mean, honestly, this rush to judgment to blame studios based on stupid website mistakes is silly. Please name the last MAJOR STUDIO DVD release of a black and white film that was colorized. That's right, none.

5. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I think you need to rethink who is rushing to judgment. If you read my post, I was trying to find out if it was originally in color. Also, it wasn't just one website (deepdiscountdvd) that had it listed as in color. dvdempire, dvdplanet, amazon all have it listed as color. I made a mistake when I saw Dial M for Murder on TCM and it was in color. I posted the question of if it was originally black and white and was corrected by someone who said it was always color. I think I'll wait on this title nonetheless until we find out for sure if it is being released in B&W.

6. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

7. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    What about Fox's release of A Christmas Wish a.k.a. The Great Rupert? That was colourised too. Days of Wine & Roses could just be a case of buggering up the template, which is why my copy of Guys and Dolls bears a 1938 year of release.

8. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

10. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

Lest we forget Fox's colorized Shirley Temple travesties...

11. BruceKimmel

Oh, okay - Artisan. Right. And, as you've pointed out, Disney released the original black and white Professor, Blood on the Sun is available on DVD in black and white, and so is The Great Rupert and so are the Shirley Temple movies, at least the ones I own from Fox. So, let me rephrase the question - what was the last colorized ONLY movie released by a major film company. Answer: None. That better?

Days of Wine and Roses was in black and white. Warners is releasing it. It's always been in black and white. It will always BE in black and white. It has never been colorized. Warners has never released a colorized DVD as far as I know. Therefore, wait all you like, but the end result is you will be buying a black and white DVD. And, if you are taking a wait-and-see attitude because of what you've read on websites then you are indeed making a "rush to judgment".

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I still can't find the B&W Absent-Minded Professor in stores, only the colorized one. Did Disney ever actually ship these? I guess I'll have to get it online.

14. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Bruce, again, I am not making a rush to judgment. I was waiting to find out from the esteemed members of this forum before purchasing. You've convinced me but I hardly think it is a rush to judgment if multiple websites were listing it as in color. I've been duped before by not looking into this and that is why I originally posed the question. My "March of the Wooden Soldiers" is a bastardized version and I don't want that to happen again.

15. BruceKimmel

Okie doke, I concede - Absent Minded was only available colorized for a period of time (not a long period, though). It is in stores, since that's where I purchased mine - nice transfer, anamorphic, etc.

Okie doke, I concede - you're not rushing to judgment, it just seemed like it.

Bottom line: Can't wait to get this.

16. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Oooh, all this hoopla over possible colorization of a decades old film is amazing. I need a drink. [​IMG]