Days Of Thunder: LD better then DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JustinBr, Mar 22, 2003.

1. JustinBr

JustinBr Auditioning

Hi,
    I read somewhere that the LD of Days of Thunder looked and sounded better then the dvd, any truth to this? Also does The Rocketeer look better on LD, even the version showed on HBO looked better then the dvd. Another question- my ld player only can play the analog track, is the analog track nearly as decent as the PCM and can it sometimes be better then a 5.1 track like PCM is? Thanks

2. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Don't worry about picking up 'The Rocketeer' on LD -- it's one of my favorite films, but that was always one of my least favorite laserdiscs. I didn't have the CAV edition, but the picture on the CLV disc is atrocious. The DVD is a big disappointment but is a revelation compared to the LD. If you still want it, you can have mine for cheap!

Not sure about the quality of LD analog tracks -- I've listened to a few in my day, but don't remember being blown away like with PCM tracks.

3. Declan

Declan Second Unit

well the PCMon my PAL LD of Days Of Thunder is great. Although i really want to hear the 5.1 off the DVD version as it's meant to be amazing.

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I rented that Laserdisc once a few years back. I was pretty impressed with the quality of the PCM track. Plenty of rear channel engine noise! As for the quality of analog tracks in general, forget it! PCM tracks have the same specifications as CD tracks. When played back on a quality home theater set-up, the sound quality can be astounding! Analog tracks simply don't have the capabilities to compete at the same level as the PCM tracks.

Then there's the 1.2 Mbps DTS tracks... [​IMG]

On another note (high C [​IMG] ), I've noticed the Dolby Digital tracks on Laserdiscs always sound better than the same tracks played back on a DVD player. The DD decoding for both players is handled by my receiver (yes, I have an auto-switching AC-3 RF demodulator connected to the LD player) and even when playing the same movie title on both players, the Laserdisc's DD tracks pack a lot more punch than the DVD's supposedly identical DD tracks.

One of these days, I'll have to try out an audiophile quality DVD player to make sure my Sony S500D DVD player isn't the one screwing up the DD track. But if after the switch I hear the same results, what does it all mean?

5. JustinBr

JustinBr Auditioning

The reason I'm looking into the LD of it is because the 5.1 track on Days Of Thunder is just really dissapointing for a movie that should sound amazing and was one of the first films released in 5.1 digital sound. I should get a new LD player capable of playing back the PCM tracks but to my ears even the analog tracks sometimes sound more active then the 5.1 counterparts on dvds. For example on Back To The Future 3 the whole train sequence toward the end sounds much better on LD then the DVD. Any other movies where the LD sounds better? How about T2?

6. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

written on the back of the LD of "Days of Thunder": (I have never seen this written on any other Paramount LD or any other LD for that matter)

THE DIGITAL TRACKS RETAIN THE DYNAMIC RANGE OF THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL MASTER. AS SUCH, THEY MAY PLAY LOUDER THAN THE ANALOG TRACKS.

I will say this, the LD does indeed blow away the DVD in terms of bass and the overall sound dynamics, even though the LD has no 5.1. If I recall this picture was released theatrically in CINEMA DIGITAL SOUND (pre: Dolby Digital) The picture is cleaner on the DVD though.

Ian