Days of Heaven - Any idea about new release

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Weisbord, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Dave Weisbord

Dave Weisbord Auditioning

I rencently rented the DVD of Terrence malick's Days of Heaven. Hadn't seen the movie since its release. An extraordinary visual experience. However no Dolby Digital. The Dolby surround it has was poor. Perhaps I didn't have it set up properly, but the surround speakers produced almost nothing.

Anyone have an idea as to whether this exceptional movie is going to be reissued in Digital? Would sure like to own it.

Dave

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Actually , you're mistaken. Days of Heaven DOES have a 5.1 DD soundtrack. Makes sense, considering it was released theatrically in 70mm 6 Track. The dialogue was on the soft side and difficult to hear, but the LFE is pretty strong in certain sections.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The DVD of Days of Heaven has both Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 tracks. You must have had the disc set to play back the 2.0 track by mistake. Being a Paramount title, the 2.0 track was probably the default setting.

Buy the current DVD.

4. Dave Weisbord

Dave Weisbord Auditioning

Yes. Now that I look it does have DD sound. Perhaps I had it set up wrong. Could there have been an earlier version that I rented??

I will no doubt but it anyway - its a favorite.

Dave

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Just go in the menu and change the sound setting from 2.0 to 5.1 and you're all set.

6. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

I just bought this disc last week and had a similar problem.

I have stereo only playback so I chose the English 2.0 track and could barely hear a thing. I had to put my volume on full just to faintly hear Ennio Morricone's opening theme music!.

I then tried the French 2.0 track and nearly burst my eardrums...I had NO problem hearing that track, a HUGH difference!

Anyone know why the 2.0 English track is so quiet as opposed to the nice and loud French 2.0 track?