Daylight - THX?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I see that the VHS and Laser Disc versions of Sylvester Stallone's Daylight was THX while the DVD's are not. Why was it or could it have been dropped?

I also see there is a DTS version but my CE sounds just fine... very deep low ends.

Eric

2. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

I don't really understand what you are asking, but all I can say is that the VHS and laserdisc versions were mastered by THX, while the DVD was not. Makes no difference though, it's still a spectacular DVD and the DD beats the DTS, hands down.

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    What is confusing me here is thinking that THX processing made the movie look and sound better so wonder why they would take it off of the DVD release... with the mindset that the transfer would be inferior?

4. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I don't really care if it's THX-certified or not. I have plenty of THX titles (e.g. Moulin Rouge, The Sound of Music) that clearly could have used more quality control, but THX still took their check and allowed their logo to be slapped on them anyway.

It's a useless logo and it means nothing to me.

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Are there any fearures missing from the DTS version compared to the "collector's edition"?

6. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    I think the DTS is "movie only" where the CE has a couple of featurettes, two trailers, music video, and other static extras. With Universal titles I always choose the CE as I have no way of playing the DTS version anyway [​IMG]

7. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Eric:

There is no such thing as THX "processing". THX merely certifies that the equipment used in performing the various steps in the transfer and mastering meet certain criteria.

In fact, a good number of the THX certified DVD's are all but unwatchable due to EE and poor resolution, which merely proves that certifying the equipment and not paying attention to the human element can lead to disaster.

THX has absolutely nothing to do with audio precessing, either on video or in the theater.

The THX TAP (Theater Assistance Program) is, likewise a certification program that says the theater meets certain criteria with regards to all sorts of things, including audio quality and configuration, screen illumination levels, relatively quiet air conditioning systems, minimal audio bleed-through from adjacent theaters, etc.

There are also two home equipment THX certification programs, one for high end equipment and one for low end equipment. In my mind this only proves that THX will certify almost anything.

Ted

8. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    TedD

That explains some things but if there are certain "criterias" required isn't that part of "processing"? Oh well... seeing some sort of certificate did give you a warm fuzzy feeling that the movie is better than standard but guess not huh?

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Eric, do you know if the DTS version at least keeps the commentary track? Some discs like the Jaws DTS, featured the same extras.. Otherwise, to those who own the Collector's Edition, how long do the featurettes run (specifically the making-of documentary and interviews) and are they interesting / significant at all?

Thanks.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

On LaserDisc, THX meant something. It helped raise the standard of how good an LD could look and sound.

For DVD, THX means absolutely nothing. It's a marketing tool.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

My laser-rotted disc of "Heavy Metal" is living proof of the THX symbol of quality! [​IMG]

12. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Obviously many of you own this disc by the comments posted above, so can anyone please answer my questions?

14. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Marco,

Wasn't trying to ignore your question but since I only own the CE version, I had no idea about the DTS.

Many times if in question about features, they are mentioned on the back of the DVD and you can often view them at DVDEmpire.com or DVDPlanet.com.

From what I have read and see on the back of the DTS version it is just "movie only" and nothing else. No commentary, no captions, no extras, simply bare bones with DTS.

The CE version has:

The Making of Daylight
    Feature Commentary with Director Rob Cohen
    Production Notes
    Cast and Filmmakers Bios
    Theatrical Trailer (two of them)
    The Featurette
    Bruce Roberts and Donna Summer "Where There Is Love" Music Video
    Archives

Plus English, Spanish, French languages and English and Spanish captions.

And according to above, the CE sountrack is more dynamic than the DTS anyway!

15. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    As Eric says, the DTS version contains nothing but the movie. No commentaries, documentaries or trailers. Nada.

The CE is an easy winner compared to the DTS version in my opinion. It contains some good added-value content (the doc is good and runs about an hour), while on the other hand the DTS soundtrack doesn't sound notably better than the Dolby Digital version (at least to me).

Side note: like other early Universal DTS titles, it does have 'hidden' region-activated Japanese subtitles though, which are absent from the CE version.

Adam

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the help!

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The dts is full bitrate if I remember correctly.

18. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Neil, I think you are correct on that one. If I remember correctly, that's the reason I ditched the DD version and went DTS.