What's new

Daylight DTS or CE? (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

Anyone compared the Daylight DTS with the Collector's Edition? I think the tunnel explosion is one of the most bass-intensive scenes on the DTS Demo Disc #3 ... but the DVDFile review says that the CE (DD5.1) is the clear winner with respect to audio and extras.

Not looking for DTS vs DD arguments, just your opinion which is better for Daylight.

Thanks!

Joe

Gavin_L

Second Unit
just gonna add my few cents with my opinion........

i got the collectors edition alittle while back, as with this one and the apollo 13 dvd, i decided with the collectors edition.

on the the extra's standpoint, the collectors edition has extra's, this was the seller for me. i wanted a little more info on how this movie was made and so fourth, while with the dts version, u just get the movie.

from what i read from reviews and so fourth, the audio is pretty good too compared to the other dts one. a fair amount of Low bass with the dd track

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
I have both versions and to be honest I cant tell the difference. So I guess that makes the DD the winner if it has more extras.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have the Daylight DTS LD and it is incredible. My mother thought we were having a real earthquake because the bass shakers go nuts durung the tunnel scene

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think many of the first generation dts DVD's had very little audible difference compared to their DD counterparts. If you are into extras at all then I would go for the CE version.

Note: I doubt whether the dts DVD sounds as good as the dts LD.

Oscar

Second Unit
Well let me tell you that that i noticed a huge difference between both tracks.

I rented the C.E.

It depends on your taste.

I have the DTS version of Apollo 13.
And there is a incredibly huge difference between the DD on the other edition.

And i don´t use Dynamic Range compression. (UGH)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I have to concur with Grant on the LD soundtrack. I live in an old apartment building, and my neighbors were at my door with torches and pitchforks after the tunnel sequence.

When it comes to DVD, I usually prefer the DTS track on discs that offer both (like Unbreakable for example).

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I usually like the DTS version, too, except that Cliff Stephenson (DVDFile), who also usually prefers the DTS version, stated the DD 5.1 was the better soundtrack.

Oscar, are you saying you prefer the DTS track?

Joe

Oscar

Second Unit
Yes i am saying that i preffered the DTS track.
There was like a 4-6 dB difference.

But it´s all result of your equipment.
Mine usually works better with DTS.

With the exceptions of The Fifth Element and Pearl Harbor were the DTS and DD track were remarkably similar, and the only difference was stronger bass and better spatial integration.

Oscar

Second Unit
Oh i understand.
Oh no Roy, my receiver does not have the dialnorm function.

But oddly enough when a DD track does not have dialnorm like in the cases of Twister and The Fifth Element, is what kept both tracks similar.

But i don´t think Pearl Harbor used this.

Oscar

Second Unit
Ok i will. But i looked all over the manual of my receiver, and there is nothing about Dialnorm.

Oscar

Second Unit
Ok let me pointed out this: Cliff Stephenson from www.dvdfile.com pointed out on his review of the Twister DTS DVD that NOT all decoders have dialnorm.
If a DVD does not have dialnorm and is introduced into a receiver with dialnorm, then there will be a 4db boost.
But as i said before, DVD´s without dialnorm are the ones where i have noticed the least difference between DTS and DD like in Twister or The Fifth Element Superbit.
I have to test Air Force One and Desperado to fully confirm this.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Picking between DTS & DD on DVD is like choosing between a Firebird or a Camaro.
If you want the Ferrari you pick the DTS LD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks