Daylight & Dante's Peak Reissues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnie G, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if the recent reissues of Daylight & Dante's peak (w/different cover art) contain the extras from the older releases?

2. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

isn't having those fantastic new cover art designs sitting on your shelf enough ? [​IMG]

in other words, no i no nothing. but expect they're the same. have a look at on-line retailers sites and see what they say.

3. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I tried that already. They don't show the new covers.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Funny this should come up- I just saw that the Dante's Peak cover was changed, so I bought the last one in the store with the old cover [​IMG]

5. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    I bought the reissues of both DAYLIGHT and APOLLO 13 since my originals had rotted a few years back and they're both the same and they both contain all of the extras from the original releases. The APOLLO 13 disc still has James Horner's isolated score on one of the static menus. I'm so glad I waited to re-purchase these since they're now selling for a lot less than I originally paid. I'm just waiting for Universal to reissue the DRAGONHEART CE, the original PSYCHO CE and PRIMARY COLORS at a lower price point since they also rotted.

Cheers,
    Harry

6. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

What's up with your DVDs rotting Harrison? [​IMG]

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Mr. Shinn, will you replace the replacements for the "rotted" discs when they "rot" too?

8. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

So DVD rot happenes? There goes my fortune spent on my collection.

9. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    I don't know what was up with those discs rotting and what struck me as odd was that they were all Universal discs.

I have a collection of around 1700 DVDs and these were the only discs that I've ever had a problem with. When I read that members were noticing that their copies of CONTACT, MY FAIR LADY or DEVIL'S ADVOCATE had rotted, I checked mine. To this day, my copies are (touch wood) rot free!

I know that it wasn't a storage or care problem since a friend of mine also had the same problem and since we both live in Hawaii, we attributed this to the humidity, but when it started happening to more of my discs, all of them Universal titles, I wrote it off as a quality control problem and that I simply got discs from a bad lot.

This topic was brought up a few years back and while the initial posts expressed concern over the problem, others started to insinuate that there weren't any problems and surely it must be all my fault or my players were to blame although at the time, I had several players and the discs in question would no longer play on any of them. That was until others started experiencing the same problems.

As for replacing the new discs "if" they rot, I can only hope that I won't need to. Bear in mind that these discs were among the first dual layer titles released by Universal back in '98 and I can only hope that whatever quality control problems they had in the past have been corrected.

Cheers!
    Harry

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I noticed the insert for Dante's Peak says the movie is on side 1 and the "making-of" is on side 2, but it's actually a 1-sided disc. Must have decided to make this dual-layer at the last minute.

11. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Thanks guys. I hope my Universal titles aren't rotted. I'll have to check.[​IMG]