What's new

Day ot the Dead and Manhunter (1 Viewer)

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious. How can Day of the Dead get a remastered Dolby Digital 6.1 EX and DTS 6.1 ES soundtrack but the upcoming Manhunter will be mono? Just curious.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, Manhunter will be in 2.0 Dolby Surround I believe, but that is a valid question. They always remaster the theatrical cuts for 5.1 or 6.1 it seems but never when they include a separate extended cut along with it. Case in point, Wicker Man-Theatrical-5.1, Extended-mono; Halloween-Theatrical-5.1,Extended-mono; Army Of Darkness theatrical-5.1; Extended-Dolby Surround (probably because some scenes came off of a tape based source).
It is a bit confusing why Anchor Bay doesn't go the extra mile in remixing audio for extended versions of films. I would like to know why as well.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Probably because the sound stems don't exist for the extended cuts, since they were never finished for theatrical distribution. It's hard to go the extra mile when there isn't any road.

Manhunter is a special case. This new edition is Michael Mann's baby, and it's whatever he's decided to make it. He's well-known for idiosyncratic views of how to put together a DVD.

Personally I wish Anchor Bay would stop monkeying around with DD EX (there's no such thing as "Dolby Digital 6.1 EX", BTW) and DTS-ES 6.1 on low-budget titles that were typically released in mono. I have yet to hear such a remix that improves on the original.

M.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm with Michael on this one. The center channel almost always sounds tinny and seperate in the mix on these old films, and not just from Anchor Bay either (Universals Wall Street, Criterions Spartacus). I can tinker my system to make up for it, but it never sounds right.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Spartacus wasn't actually remixed for Criterion's DVD - for its original 70mm screenings, it was presented in a six-track sound mix. That same mix is what you hear on the Criterion DVD. Of course, in those days they had slightly different aesthetic ideas of how to put together a multi-channel soundtrack (such as directional dialogue), which may account for the "strangeness" you're hearing.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Spartacus wasn't actually remixed for Criterion's DVD
Actually, it was. The original 70mm 6-track mix for Spartacus was not in the same 5.1 structure we now use; it most likely had 3 screen channels (L, C, R), a mono surround channel, and 2 "baby boom" bass channels. This structure was modified for DVD to 3 screen channels, 2 surround channels, and 1 bass channel. Criterion's liner notes make the (odd) statement that the DVD soundmix both "preserves and reconstructs" the 70mm 6-track mix. 70mm 6-track mixes didn't begin to resemble our current 5.1 design until Superman and Apocalypse Now came along.

DJ

Chris Hopper

Agent
I, personally, am very happy that Anchor Bay mixes these titles in DTS - ES. I may be a minority, but Suspiria is one of my favorite films. I am also very excited about Dawn of the Dead coming out in DTS - ES. I tend not to be a huge fan of the more commercial films coming out in DTS - ES. I mean really.... Bones? Suspiria, in my opinion, has one of the best soundtracks ever. It sounds magnificent on my system, and the rear center channel is very active.
thanks.
chris

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting stuff.

Personally I rather wish they'd just leave the sound as close to 'as was' as they can get it. If it's mono leave it at mono.

There are precious few examples of excellent remastered/expanded sound. Do we really need films like Day of the Dead to get expanded out to fill all our channels just because we can?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Films like Dawn Of The Dead have something that most modern films simply do not have, or do not have enough of: raw power. Dawn doesn't need DTS 6.1, but I suppose it's nice to have. The original mono of low-budget films is never perfect, and so trying to attain 'modern-quality' digital sound with them is hopeless. The best that can be done is to get the sound as good as can be, and that can be achieved with the original mono mix.

Quite often, 5.1 (and above) remixes of older films can be distracting, as the sound, uh... dominates the film. To me, the most important aspect of the soundtrack in films, is the dialogue, if the dialogue is intelligable, then the film is weakened. A lot of those older mono mixes were carefully and painstakeningly recorded and mixed, and when recklessly overhauled to 5.1, they can suffer badly.

Anyway, getting back to Anchor Bay's DiviMax Series, it is interesting to note that Halloweem: 25th Anniversary Edition will not have DTS 6.1 - I was kind-of expecting this, but it really is no big deal. What perhaps should have been included was a isolated stereo mix of the legendary score.

Gordy

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the original 6-track mix was 5 stage channels (l,lc, c, rc, r) and 1 surround, the standard Todd-AO format.

Michael_Y

Grip
fangoria.com recently posted the full specs of the DAY OF THE DEAD 2-disc set:

Anchor Bay has informed Fango of the final specs on its amazing two-DVD release of DAY OF THE DEAD, coming August 19. This is the first Anchor Bay title to use the new DiviMax high-definition transfer process, and will present the film in 1.85:1, 16x9-enhanced widescreen. In addition to 6.1 DTS-ES and Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks, the movie will come with audio commentary by George A. Romero, Tom Savini, production designer Cletus Anderson and star Lori Cardille, and a second commentary track by filmmaker Roger (KILLING ZOE) Avary.

The second disc will be packed with a wide array of bonus materials, as follows:

• The Many Days of DAY OF THE DEAD—An all-new 39-minute documentary featuring interviews with Romero, producer David Ball, Savini and makeup FX artist Greg Nicotero, Anderson, assistant director Chris Romero and actors Cardille, Joseph Pilato and Howard Sherman
• DAY OF THE DEAD: Behind The Scenes—31 minutes of production footage from Savini
• An audio interview with late actor Richard (Dr. Logan) Liberty
• A promotional video for the Wampum Mine location
• Theatrical trailers and TV spots
• Production stills and behind-the-scenes photos
• Zombie makeup photo and continuity stills galleries
• Posters and ad art
• Memorabilia gallery
• DVD-ROM features: Romero’s original draft of the screenplay and production memos

The package also comes with a 16-page booklet designed to look like Dr. Logan’s notebook, containing liner notes and original production sketches from the film. And it’s all for just $29.98! Romero fans, start salivating now…

Sounds good. For some reason I find this release to be reminiscent of a Criterion disc, in terms of overall presentation and selection of special features.
Fangoria also have the cover art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks