1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Day of the Triffids...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bob kaplan, Dec 15, 2001.

1. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    i don't know who has the rights to this one, but Image released it on LaserDisc quite some time ago. My copy has begun to rott. Would others enjoy having this piece of sci-fi history on DVD?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

3. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...sadly, Region ZERO, *PAL*...

5. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Be warned that the British version of the disc (shown above) is non-anamorphic, and looks very much like it was originally sourced from an NTSC transfer (possibly straight from the laserdisc).

It also has appalling audio sync problems.

Personally I'd much rather have a disc of the excellent 1983 BBC adaptation....

6. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...sadly, Region ZERO, *PAL*...

7. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I'd love to have a good release of this film. I like it a lot, even though it has one of the most appaling matte shots I have ever seen. The smoke from the burning Triffids disappear BEHIND the background matte, revealing a straight edge!

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I've never seen this but love John Wyndham's book. How faithful are the various film adaptations to the novel?

9. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Steve it's nowhere near as good as the book and is considered one of the worst B movies ever made. Rubber plants, bad acting, you name it, it's got it.

10. David Lambert

Jacob_St, it's a bad-looking film production value wise, but it's good SciFi and it gets the point across.

My reasons for wanting to own it on DVD are personal. It was one of the first things I ever saw that made me interested in the genre as a forum for exploring ideas. When I discovered Star Trek soon after, I was hooked (my first-ever ST episode, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", won't win any awards for production values or acting or non-cheesiness, either...but these did the trick of turning on my mind!).

11. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Bring on the BBC version! Scared the willys out of me when I was little! I'd love the Beeb to release that! PULEEESAE!!

12. Brian Knolhoff

...but I really got hot, when I saw Janette Scott fight a triffid that shoots poison and kills... [​IMG]
    Funny that I just came across this thread...I was jamming on that song with some friends no more than 10 minutes ago.
    -Brian

13. Robert Drew

Robert Drew Auditioning

On comparing the film to Wyndham's novel, it's rather like what happens to a Crichton novel when it becomes a film: most of the details are lost, characters change or disappear entirely, plot threads are altered, and you're basically left with a few major scenes hacked together into a semi-coherent work that has little to do with the original.

That said, however, I love the film and wish it were available on DVD! I only discovered the book after having seen the film, so for me, it was like having an interesting but limited premise developed into a truly wonderful piece of fiction. If you started with the book, I'm not sure you would appreciate the film as much. It's almost an entirely different story that happens to share a similar plot and setting. I'd say rent before you buy.

14. andrew markworthy

The BBC adaptation is more faithful to the book (one of my favourites when I was a teenager), but I suspect the special effects will look *very* dated these days. The movie is pure schlock.

Edit: I should add that I like schlock.

15. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

Loved this movie since I was a kid. It really needs to be on DVD and would be a perfect title for Anchor Bay to release.

16. David Lambert

Hey, there! A really old thread here. Before it reaches its one-year anniversary, I'd like the ask everyone something:
    What the hell is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007G1SX/103-9470022-3408649
    I was spiffing through the Amazon release listings for 12/3 to make sure I didn't miss anything for the Weekly Roundup. And I stumbled across this listing and thought to myself, "What the hell? With no forewarning, and noone else on HTF mentioning it weeks or months in advance, there is suddenly going to be a Triffids DVD? Oh, happy day!"
    Amazon says it ships this coming Tuesday, and sells for $18.71. R1, 95 Minutes, and "ASIN: B00007G1SX" are the only other things they say about it.
    Problem is, the Amazon listing is the only place I can spot it! Nothing at BestBuy.COM, BordersStores.com, CircuitCity.com or similar. Nothing at any other e-tailer like DVDEmpire or DVDPlanet or whoever. No listing at Image Entertainment. Searching DVDPriceSearch comes up empty. Not even Amazon.CA lists it...just Amazon.com!
    So I did google searches for both the title and the "studio" (Allied Artists Ent). For the latter, I could find nothing that correlated directly to the film in question. For the former, I could only find a REEL.com listing that leads back to Amazon.com's entry!
    I'm probably missing something here. But I would LOVE to own an NTSC DVD of Triffids, and I hope this is for real. But I find it hard to trust that Amazon got an exclusive on something like this. I mean, why would they bother? It should be in general release in the "good schlock" section of every retailer, right? [​IMG]
    Anyone have any more info on this? I won't list it in the Weekly Roundup, much less order it, until I know a bit more.

17. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

David, there's been some debate about Allied Artists (the company releasing this title) over at the Mobius Home Video Forum. They're also releasing another very desirable title, Attack of the Crab Monsters. The general feeling (and all available evidence) seems to be that this is - at best - a label exploiting public domain titles.
    I eagerly await Crab Monsters reviews. I saw this movie at a SF convention about fifteen years ago, and the bulb in the projector broke two thirds of the way through, and I never got to see the end. The fact that one of the main characters was called Jules caused no end of hilarity that weekend. Oh yes.

18. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

Since there has been no advance announcements about this title, this could be one of those super el cheapo PD DVD releases that movie fans have to suffer through. If so, one could wind up with a pan and scan version of THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS.
    Personally, I am hoping for a 16:9 enhanced wide screen version of THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS and will be holding on to my wide screen Laserdisc until that happens.

19. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

The movie of Day of the Triffids is a cheesy B-flick, typical Hollyweird bastardization of John Wyndham's excellent and thoughtful novel with an ending that made me groan even at the tender of age of Whatever when I saw it in a theater. It is an abomination.
    It's also one of my favorite movies. I went home and dyed sunflower seeds green to make triffid seeds. I bought a venus fly trap.
    I'd love to have a good DVD of this flick, but I'll hold out for the widescreen anamorphic version.
    Any availability on that BBC version? When was it made?
    Jan

20. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

The Day of the Triffids is firmly ensconced in a quagmire of rights issues. Recently someone at the Doctor Who Restoration Team Forum asked about the possibility of the BBC version being released. The response was that BBC Worldwide is interested in releasing it, yet they aren't allowed to do so. The rights to the novel were recently optioned by a film company, and that contract precludes any other adaptation being commercially released. Unfortunately until that option expires it doesn't look like any version will get an official DVD release. The big question now is if the R2 and forthcoming R1 releases of the '62 film are legit.