DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1981 BBC) 4th April (R2)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by AndyMcKinney, Feb 23, 2005.

1. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

The BBC have finally gotten around to releasing their excellent adaptation of the Wyndham novel (certainly, much better than the hammy 1960s US film). Available at all good British e-tailers, including amazon UK, Bensons Word, Sendit, etc. from the 4th of April (originally slated for a March release).

Photo of the cover art available here.

Other genre titles released on the same date from BBC Video:

Flipside of Dominick Hide/Another Flip for Dominick
    The Invisible Man
    Nightmare Man

2. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I hope the USA R1 release isn't far away. I love this show (the 1960s movie adaptation was crap).

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

This is one case (of many) where I seriously doubt that a R1 NTSC version will be forthcoming.

"Triffids", although getting some PBS exposure, has rarely been seen in the US since the days of its original airings on defunct satellite/cable channel RCTV (one of the co-producers of the series). The last cable (non-PBS) repeat I'm aware of in the States was in late 1984 (don't remember if it was RCTV or another station. Just remember seeing the listing in Satellite Orbit when we got our big dish for Christmas '84).

Also, Triffids was rumoured to be in rights Hell thanks to the guy who runs a company called Angry Films (owing to his company's purchasing the remake rights). It could be him (or the previous owners) who held up the originally-proposed mid-90s VHS release. Maybe a deal was worked out, but for the UK only?

At any rate, I suspect the BBC won't see "Triffids" as popular enough to release in the US, unless the proposed remake happens (so they could tie it in).

A R4 disc (still PAL, though) from Roadshow or ABC in Australia might be likely, though (probably just a port of the R2, though).

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The A&E Network ran this at least twice in the late 80s/early 90s. I've still got the VHS tape!

5. andrew markworthy

It hasn't exactly dominated the schedules in the UK either.