What's new

Pre-Order Day of the Outlaw (1959) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
243331_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As a big fan of the young Tina Louise, I have to report that the image on the cover is a publicity shot only and does not appear in the film. It's a very good film, bleak, tense and grim, and all the cast are good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a big fan of the young Tina Louise, I have to report that the image on the cover is a publicity shot only and does not appear in the film. It's a very good film, bleak, tense and grim, and all the cast are good.
After my latest viewing of "Day of the Outlaw", I must say that Tina Louise was one beautiful woman. Damn, she should have been a bigger star and known more than just for "Gilligan's Island".

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Oh my good God department...a contemporary photo of Tina Louise being helped into her costume by Julie Newmar backstage during the Lil' Abner run on Broadway in 1958...
ZZGFo8C.jpg

Day of the Outlaw should look stunning in HD, my DVD already looks great...and as others have said, it has that great snow bound atmosphere and a great cast, action and story...another neglected Robert Ryan western that I'd love to see get a quality Blu treatment is The Canadians (1961, Fox)...directed by the great Burt Kennedy and filmed in beautiful color on location in Cypress Hills Provincial Park on the Saskatchewan/Alberta border in Canada...John Dehner is in this one too, and the cast is rounded out with real plains Cree and Blackfoot tribes people speaking their actual native language! How often did that happen in vintage westerns? A couple of years ago I asked the original Kino Lorber rep here on HTF about The Canadians, and he sounded enthusiastic, saying they might look into it...so who knows...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After my latest viewing of "Day of the Outlaw", I must say that Tina Louise was one beautiful woman. Damn, she should have been a bigger star and known more than just for "Gilligan's Island".
I watched this Kino Blu-ray today and like "Man Without a Star", I didn't see much difference video presentation-wise between this Kino BD from the "Masters of Cinema" 2015 BD release. However, like "Man Without a Star", I enjoyed the audio presentation more with Kino's DTS-HD MA audio codec than the PCM 2.0 track on the German BD. The audio sounds more robust on the Kino Blu-rays. Furthermore, the Kino discs have subtitles unlike the German Blu-rays.

One more thing, the audio commentary by Jeremy Arnold is one of the best commentaries I've listen to recently on disc. It's quite informative as he discuses not only the cast and crew, but talks about the movie itself including the storyline ,film locations and film facts. I learned quite a lot about the film from this commentary that I didn't know prior to listening to it. One thing he didn't touch on that I wish he did was more about Philip Yordan, the screenwriter. It's been known that Yordan used hired ghost writers for his credited screenplays. Arnold never touch on that subject matter. Other than that, a really good audio commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks