What's new

"Day of the Dead" remake (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I guess I'm on the other side because I think NIGHT and DAWN are among the greatest horror films ever made so there was no need for a remake. With DAY, I personally think it's a very bad film. With that in mind, I always said they should remake bad films so they can bring this one on. :) I liked THE AMITYVILLE HORROR remake more than the original so hopefully this one can follow suit.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
What's so idiotic about remaking DAY is that there's no need to call it that, as it will probably be just another general "zombies run amuck" flick.. It turned out that I enjoyed the "new" version of DAWN OF THE DEAD, but it could have been called anything; it was just another zombie film. There was no need to call it DAWN OF THE DEAD, except to capitalize on the name.

Michael, I have faith that one day you - like many others - will get the appeal of DAY OF THE DEAD. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just thought of this Joe. Perhaps there IS a reason to give them the same name even though they have nothing in common. Just look at all the free publicity these films gather due to us fans talking about remakes. Each time a new remake is announced us fans give the same opinions and discuss the same issues. This certainly can't be a bad thing for the studio.

This one page here has put people in theater seats for the remake and sold a few copies of the original for AB. The "new" fans who might not be familiar with the original might take a few notes to see it and the remake. I'm sure both studios are happy with us fans. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I completely understand "why" the studios do what they do - they're in this to make money and to pre-sell this idea because it's already got a built-in hardcore fan base. You're not telling us anything we all don't already know. And if I were the head of my own movie studio, I'd be on "their" side. However - as just a "movie fan", I think it stinks and I don't know why I should be comforted by realizing their motives.

Travis W.

Second Unit
Strange that Taurus Entertainment still has a hand in this. They were shooting a sequel to Day a not too long ago called Day of the Dead: Cotagium. So I guess that got put on the backburner in the light of this remake. Personally, I think it'll be Day of the Dead in name only, I can't see the film taking place in a bunker the whole time, today's generation may think back to the survivors trapped in the Hive during the first Resident Evil film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright, I suppose I should just say it and take what you guy's want to dish my way...I loved not only the remake of Dawn of the Dead (the Die Hard of zombie films as I call it) but also am a huge supporter of the remake of Night of the Living Dead as well, in fact, I like the remakes of both films BETTER then their originals.

Be gentle. ;)

I was hoping that Day of the Dead would get remade someday, if for any other reason than to complete the remake trilogy. I love the original of that one, but I believe it could be done better, if someone could put on the screen what Romero wanted in the first place, more power to them, but the film needs to be done right as well.

I am not really comfortable with the idea that the same people that gave us that God-aweful Amityville Horror remake is behind this, I was sort of hoping that Zack Snyder would do it, he rocked the house with Dawn of the Dead!

I also really hope they stick with RUNNING zombies! Slow ones are scary to be sure as long as they've got you cornered and surrounded. Running zombies are nerve shatteringly scary! One's that will chase you down like a rabid pit-bull and tear your ass limb from limb! :frowning:

BTW, I love Joe Pilato in Day of the Dead! IMO Captn. Rhodes is one of the most vicious, not to mention short tempered, villians in not only horror history but film history. The sad part is I AGREED with him most of the time, regarding the way to handle the zombies anyway. Train them to do tricks and obey!? WTF!? Just shoot em'! ;) Many time during the film I wanted to say out loud exactly what he said...

"What the fuck is wrong with you people!? They're dead! They're fucking dead!"

Anyway, we'll see...

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I agree with the running. Don't like the idea of them communicating and thinking. Takes something away.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I've heard this is not at all going to be linked to Dawn of the Dead, at least as planned. The fact Steve Miner is directing doesn't quite help, either. It could be decent, but I've got less enthusiasm for this than I did the Dawn remake.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Miner had a good run in the eighties when he directed "Friday the 13th" 2 and 3 (two of my favorite installments in that series) and "House." However, I wasn't a big fan of "Halloween H20," but I'm not sure how involved he was in ignoring the previous entires and destroying the Halloween continuity. I hope the "Day" remake is worth seeing, which is something I can say for "Dawn." I went in expecting to hate that remake, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Curtis and Dimension Films had a bigger hand in that part of H20. There was a lot of interference from the studio on that one, let me tell you.

Didn't he also direct Lake Placid... ?

PS, just to add. MIRA SORVINO will NOT be in this film. It was an error. MENA SUVARI will actually be playing the role. Me = Excited for Mena, and a little peeved cause it would have been neat to see Mira kicking zombie ass.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Trailer looks "direct to video" unfortunately...

http://www.nuimage.net/pop_trailer.asp?id={7C34177D-3F5B-42D3-9210-4C0AF6E71418}&type=machi

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Another dumb remake. These rarely work. A few that did...The Fly, The Thing. But those are the exceptions. Think of a new idea!

Like Coke or Pepsi, David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar, Ford or Chevy, the Dawn remake debate will rage on forever. I thought the Dawn remake sucked bigtime. That remake was horror for people suffering from ADD. They tried to go the 28 Days Later route, but that film had a reason for the sprinting. If their goal was to make a horror film with the remake, they failed miserably. Those were some of the dumbest characters ever committed to film and deserved what they got for their clueless mistakes. The zombie baby was the icing on the cake. Dawn screenwriter James Gunn, who also wrote and directed Slither was actually good! Whoa! Who knew an original idea could actually be a good one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks