"Day of the Dead" remake

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael Allred, May 25, 2005.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    No, not that "other" movie using the same title, this is an actual remake of Romero's movie brought to you by the folks responsible for the recent "Amityville Horror" remake;

http://joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=1391

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I suppose I have mixed feelings.

Why would they do that? The people who think positively about Day of the Dead are truly in the minority. It has none of the historical cachet or fan recognition that Night or Dawn had.

However, the Dawn remake was successful despite not trying to replicate the commentary by instead focusing itself as a straight up horror thriller. In that sense, a Day of the Dead remake could entirely be a decided improvement.

I guess I'll leave it as a film project that could make a good replacement for a weak entry in the series.

3. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

The Dawn remake kicked some ass. Amityville was alright, guess we'll see what they can do with Day.

I still think Day's fx and gore are the best of any movie.

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Whatever.....I'm sorry but I can't muster an emotion one way or the other between all of the released and announced re-makes lately. Just throw another on the woodpile......that would be a NOTLD joke....get it? [​IMG]

5. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Oh, come on, this is absurd now. So we're now up to remaking a 1985 film that's already plenty "current" and modern in its style? Give me a break.

6. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I used to think the same thing years ago, but I have come across many fellow Day fans since then. As far as I'm concerned, Day is easily the best of Romero's trilogy. While it may be the least liked of the trilogy, the minority isn't as big as one would think.

Anyway, another pointless remake. I'll pass.

7. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

It's my personal favorite.

8. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I'd still list "Dawn" and "Night" over "Day" but I'll also agree that I've seen a lot more love for "Day" recently. It's following is larger than you would expect, it's not one of these cases where even the most truly awful entries of a series (which I wouldn't say about "Day", it's just an example, think "Friday the 13th Part V") has a small percentage of the fanbase that absolutely adores it. It's a large following, I believe George Romero himself considers it his best film. It may be my least favorite of the trilogy but it does definitely have the best makeup and gore effects, and Bub is arguably the greatest zombie in the history of the genre.

9. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I wonder if it will be direct remake, a "re-imagining", or a filmed version of Romero's original Day script. I think I'd prefer the latter...

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Robert, What was different between the filmed version and Romero's original script?? Details.

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

As I recall from the SE DVD it was pared down from the grand epic scale that it once had for budgetary reasons.

12. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

With "Land", I think Romero is attempting a lot of the stuff he couldn't do in "Day" for budgetary reasons.

13. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I originally thought the Dawn remake was blasphemy. Being a huge Dawn fan I vowed to avoid this movie like the plague... until I was really bored one afternoon so went and saw it. I'm glad I did, because I really enjoyed it.

I'm open to a Day remake, but I'm kind of with some above. The last one came out less than 20 years ago -- what's with all of the retreads these last 5 years? I don't have near the attatchment to Day (I thought it was pretty good, but it was my least favorite of the series).

If anything, I'm almost more nervous about Land of the Dead. Night, Dawn, Day -- Whatever happened to Dusk? That said, I know, it's Romero, it's his baby. I would just remind people that their expectations of the new Star Wars trilogy was vastly different than what came out -- the director's vision had changed. (Not starting yet another Star Wars thread, just stating that as another example. [​IMG]) Maybe that will happen with Land too.

Doug

14. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Todd, where to start?

Let's just say that the original premise of Day of the Dead was grandly epic compared to the smaller, claustrophobic underground story that was filmed.

15. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

At the beginning. [​IMG] Seriously..just some of the main differences.

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well you could just go and buy the SE from Anchor Bay as it has the original script on it in PDF format.

17. Mark Ram

Mark Ram Agent

I can understand a remake of NotLD and Dawn. But Day?
    I loved the first two but Day was absolutely below par in my opinion. Romero tried his best to make some kind of psychological drama and he obviously didn't have a budget to get the right actors to bring some weight to their characters. The military leader looked like Bono and had no idea how to act. He was so over the top unbelievable it really hurt the movie. The ideas were there but it just didn't feel like it belonged in the trilogy. I have no idea about the original screenplay of Day of the Dead, but I can't imagine Romero was at all satisfied with the final product.

From what I've read Romero couldn't get financing to make the movie he wanted. I would hope with the recent success of DotD and the hopeful fincancial success of Land of the Dead he could always make the movie he wanted without going back. That day is done. The idea of new Dead movies is a great one to me as I love a good Horror movie. Just please don't look back.

18. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Funny, because I thought Joseph Pilato was one of the better actors in the film, I believed his character more so than most of the others.
    If I were to do a Lucas on the film the only thing I would change (aside from the lead actress...I thought she was more wooden than an Ent) would be the music which IMO was horrible 80's synth-a-crap and brought the film down several levels....which is a shame because I thought John Harrison's score for Creepshow was pretty good.

Actually he has said on a few occasions that Day was his personal favorite of the Dead films.....I, like many, disagree.

19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Yeah, I loved Pilato in Day of the Dead. It's a case of an actor going so far over the top with his part that he somehow comes out of it with a really compelling character, and it didn't hurt that he had most of the really entertaining dialogue in the film. "I'M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!!" [​IMG]

I'd say Day is probably my least favorite of the trilogy, but that's not to criticize it because I think it's still very good.

20. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Their is a comic book series called "The Walking Dead". It follows a group of "survivors" after the dead overrun the world. Fans of the series think this would translate well into a series for HBO or Showtime.