What's new

Day/Night Contrast (1 Viewer)

Jim0de

Auditioning
Just purchased a Hitachi 57S715 and am loving it! One feature it has is an automatic contrast adjust for day or night time viewing. You can set the times of day/night that you want to have it automatically adjust the sets contrast. My concern is that if you choose to use this feature it automatically sets the contrast in the day mode to 100% and the night mode to 65%. I've read everywhere that the contrast should never be run that high, but I guess my question is, if that's the case why does Hitachi set it that way? Seems to me that if that is the factory set up default then the set should be designed to run under those conditions without any damage. I do have a set up DVD and will probably adjust the set to that this weekend, but again I was just wondering.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Its for the masses that don't understand this little fact. The faster the TV wears out ... the faster you buy your next TV. (It really isn't damaging per se ... just making things wear out faster. So it lasts 5 years instead of 14 years.)

Just like SVM is a good feature ... and Red Push is a good thing too.

Doesn't Day mode really depend on just how much ambient room light there is ... rather than the time of day? The Sun goes down early in the winter ...

Regards

MattLH

Auditioning

That is grossly inaccurate.

It will set the day and night mode contrast to whatever you currently have it set to for that mode. Factory, it is set to 100/65 as you described. However, you should definitely lower both settings substantially, and henceforth those settings will be used for either mode.

By the way, it is not just contrast, but all the user settings that are retained per mode.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks