1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Day late/Dollar short?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KenHenseler, Dec 22, 2005.

1. KenHenseler

KenHenseler Auditioning

All,

I have an LCD projector that is HD ready (Dell 2300MP), and I was hoping to get an inexpensive HD receiver for OTA. After reading the forum here, I've been trying to track one down locally (Minnesota) at Radio Shacks and Best Buys. I keep getting the same story - "Oh, we had those. But we sold our last one a month ago and aren't getting any more. However, here's our DirectTV model for $200!" $200 for OTA seems awfully steep to me when all I want is OTA HD reception. Even E-Bay seems pricey with most units going for $150+. With TiVO becoming ubiquitous, I thought there would be a good market for cheap used units. But I can't seem to find anything. Any recommendations?

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

If you're looking for relatively cheap, you might look into an old VOOM unit though you have to be careful to buy one that is properly activated. As far as I know nobody has figured a way to activate any of the "Brand New" units

3. KenHenseler

KenHenseler Auditioning

Does it have to be activated if I'm using it for OTA?

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Hi Ken,

YGPM

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

It had to have been activated at one time and then not deactivated when Voom went out of business and sent the Kill Signal to a lot of its boxes. Since there is no VOOM anymore, there obviously isn't a monthly fee and there aren't any sat signals you can still get. I forget the exact sequence, but all units will not do OTA.