"Day" for "Night" scenes mastering on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_M, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Can any one explain "Day" for "Night" scenes and why they seem to get messed up on DVD.

I as far as I know, a scene is filmed during the "day" then darked in the lab.

Many times I'll watch a film and see a scene in which car head lights are on, house widows and street lights are lit and the sun is brightly shining as if it were 12 noon.

Why do the DVD technicians fail to darken the scene? Is it something is done while the film is printed and DVD is transfered from the film negative?

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I haven't watched much of the DVD yet, but I believe they make this mistake on Man From Laramie. An early scene is supposed to be set at night judging by the dialog, but it looks like high noon.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Example, please.

Crawdaddy

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    A good example of this error can be found during two sequences of JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. Every Columbia edition of this film presents the harpy capture and an earlier sequence much too bright. Criterion's laser disc edition corrected this (and the film also had a running commentary by Harryhausen!), which is why wish more studios still licensed out their product to Criterion.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

Almost all of the night scenes on the island in Cast Away were filmed day for night. They go into the process and how it is done on the 2 disc edition. Fascinating stuff.

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    With the creation of higher speed negative stocks, there seems to be less day for night material produced.

One of the major reasons for day for night was that before these high speed stocks, night for night shooting would yield an extremely thin negative, with virtually no image.

There are a number of night for night shots in LoA during the crossing of the Nefud.

RAH

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

It should be noted that, occasionally, inaccurately processed day-for-night shots have been thankfully corrected while being telecined for DVD. Two examples I can think of is Blue Underground's exceptional remastering of The Crazies and Criterion's beautiful transfer of Lord of the Flies. In both instances the filmmakers express their delight at the changes on the discs' commentary tracks.